Radiator fan switch

Moderator: Moderators

Kloon
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2

Radiator fan switch

Post by Kloon »

Hello my little fruits,

just wanted to share something in case it helps out. I discovered that my radiator fan was not working. I traced the problem to the fan switch that is located at the bottom left of the radiator and i'm told is very expensive to replace. On inspection I found one of the spade connectors ( i don't know what the connector is called that's just a guess) had corroded and snapped off. I checked to see of the fan was working by shorting the wires, and it was :). I took a small drill bit and being very careful not to drill to deep I drilled a hole right next to the broken connector and then put a new connector in the hole. It took a bit of fiddling and i glued it into place with a little JB weld. When it was dry it was in solid, I snipped the connecting block off and crimped two new connectors onto the wires and popped them back on my 'repaired' radiator switch.

Result! :excited It now works like a charm. Fan comes on as expected. I know people just wire up a switch which is fine I guess but I thought i would give this a try as its now restored original functionality.
I hope this helps.

Whilst I'm here, can anyone tell me if my temperature gauge is being normal. I thought it was it was not working but it must be. It only moves up to the first mark on the gauge and I kind of thought that perhaps at normal running temp it should be at the halfway point. When left idling (waiting to see if my radiator fan was gonna kick in) it did rise and the fan kicked in at just under the half way point. Is this just my zxr or does everyone have the same readout from the temp gauge? Its an H2 by the way. Thanks all.
Cowards die many times in their lives but the valiant taste death only once.
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Re: Radiator fan switch

Post by thomp1983 »

my gauge sits at the first white line under normal riding, if sat in traffic on a hot day it will get to 3/4's before the fan kicks in and brings it down again

chris
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Radiator fan switch

Post by Tirpitz »

Yours sounds to be working perfectly. In normal riding with a good quality rad / coolant it should be in the lower section of the white range if you are moving. The fan should kick in around the halfway mark.

Well done for mending the problem and not bodging it. What the fan-switch-bodgers fail to appreciate is that after a hot ride in summer, once you stop the bike and turn it off the fan often comes on automatically to cool the engine during its cool-down period. If the temperature sensor is disconnected and a switch bodge has been employed this doesn't happen. Then people wonder why they bust a head gasket ........ confuddled
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock