ZXR 400 H1, Overheating please help

Moderator: Moderators

ZXR400PROJECT
My Bike: zxr 400

ZXR 400 H1, Overheating please help

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

Hi there, I'm having problems with my bike it’s overheating majorly & after you start it give it 1 minute to warm up and the expansion chamber/tank will fill up from the low mark. More and more and goes past the full mark then comes out of the expansion tank overflow pipe, in the manual it says fill 2.3l of coolant. 50% water n 50% coolant, I could only get 1.7l in and while im riding it I stop & at the expansion tank and it’s around the full mark bubbling !!! , and today I took the expansion tank/chamber out and looked in it and there was all black bits in so I purred the coolant out of the chamber n put in a bottle n was so dirty at the bottom so i cleaned the chamber n put new coolant in the chamber to the low level, i have put a new rad cap on so its not that. could the rad be blocked if so how do i clean it out or the thermostat mashed / not opening / closing, its a 23 yr old bike, the url is what I’m working with the red circle is where the expansion chamber is n the blue the the expansion chamber overflow pipe.
ZXR400PROJECT

Re: ZXR 400 H1, Overheating please help

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

your bike is a L1 mate not H1 its 1989 but imported.when you buy parts you need L parts
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

You can try flushing the system, which is basically running water (from a hose pipe) down the pipe by the radiator ca and letting it run out from the hose at the other side of the raditor, of course you need to remove it first.

Also remove the bolts at the front of the cylinder block as the will drain out any old fluid and ensure that any water will also drain out. And to flush the rad just run water in the radiator cap and block the main pipe hole with your hand.
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

Why cant i just do it while the rad is on the bike put the water hose down where the rad cap is n disconnect the bottom hose on the rad ? thanks
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

masterofinsanity wrote:your bike is a L1 mate not H1 its 1989 but imported.when you buy parts you need L parts
No mate it is a 1989, H1 model. Its the jap import the 89 was the h1 and the h2 was the 90 model, and I spent like £950 last week on parts n I brought all h1 parts & all fitted ? thanks
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

here is the vid plz look at my other posts thx. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oRg6v7e4U
adamm1704
My Bike: Zxr400 H1

Post by adamm1704 »

As redexrob said flush the rad and the pipes through and drain it form the cylinder block draining bolts aswell.
When putting new coolant in make sure that you start the bike up with the rad cap off so that any air in the system can get out, when i do mine i leave it to idle for 2-3 minuites just to make sure there is no air locks in the system. top it up through the rad cap until its full.
In terms of your bubbling problem it could be a possible blown head gasket? If the head gasket is blown it will pressureise the system, making it boil and spurt out of the overflow.
If i was you i would get the cylinders compression tested. You can buy the kit of ebay for £15-£20

WIth your deristriction video
DONT GO CHOPPING WIRES near your ecu.
The easiest way to derestrict is to put a resitor across the plug that goes into the back of the speedo. you can either make one or buy a box, ive personaly got an MMAX box on mine and that works. You could also fit a mechanical speed converter which will fit onto the end of your speedo cable were it fits onto the spedo. This will convert you speed from kmph to mph so the bike will think your doing mph instead, so will never hit the 180 limiter.
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

adamm1704 wrote:As redexrob said flush the rad and the pipes through and drain it form the cylinder block draining bolts aswell.
When putting new coolant in make sure that you start the bike up with the rad cap off so that any air in the system can get out, when i do mine i leave it to idle for 2-3 minuites just to make sure there is no air locks in the system. top it up through the rad cap until its full.
In terms of your bubbling problem it could be a possible blown head gasket? If the head gasket is blown it will pressureise the system, making it boil and spurt out of the overflow.
If i was you i would get the cylinders compression tested. You can buy the kit of ebay for £15-£20

The easiest way to derestrict is to put a resitor across the plug that goes into the back of the speedo. you can either make one or buy a box, ive personaly got an MMAX box on mine and that works. You could also fit a mechanical speed converter which will fit onto the end of your speedo cable were it fits onto the spedo. This will convert you speed from kmph to mph so the bike will think your doing mph instead, so will never hit the 180 limiter.
Cant it just be the rad is blocked thats why the expansion chamber is bubbling or the thermostat is packed up never been changed in 23 yrs ? or your sure its my head gasket even tho no water comes out my exhaust
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

adamm1704 wrote:As redexrob said flush the rad and the pipes through and drain it form the cylinder block draining bolts aswell.

Here is the converter for the speedo and how does ith work when i put it on it will convert so where is say 2- kph it will be mph if so whhy do u get the mph stickers ? and why on the forum it says cut the pink wire on the ecu n put a resistor from the ecu where the pink wire was n put it to earth ??? HELP THIS IS SO CONFUSING
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%20M ... er%203.pdf
Look through that it will tell you how to test your thermostat. Flush the rad out do the thermostat test and if the thermostat is working fill the bike back up with just water ( just incase it still dosent work you dont want to be wasting coolant) and see if if it starts bubbling again. If it dosent bubble anymore drain the water out and put your coolant back in. If it does bubble still then i would start to look at your head gasket.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/hmodel.html

Take a look through that also it might help with your other problems on the bike
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

With the mechanical converter it will make it so when it reads 20kpmh mark on the clocks your actually going 20mph. therefore the bike will never get to the 180kpmh restricion as the clock needle will never reach that point. To be honest mate dont even worry about deristricting your bike fully until you have sorted the other problems out.
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

adamm1704 wrote:With the mechanical converter it will make it so when it reads 20kpmh mark on the clocks your actually going 20mph. therefore the bike will never get to the 180kpmh restricion as the clock needle will never reach that point
so whats the point of the mph stickers then ?? would u recomend pay the £25 for it or just take the speedo apart n take the clip out that connects at 112mph ?? thx
adamm1704

Post by adamm1704 »

The mph stickers are just a refrenece so you dont end up speeding. And its up too you. If you wanna save some money and take the pin out then do that but be carfull not to damage the internals of the clocks. If you wanna play it safe and have your speedometer and odemeter reading in mph then buy the mechanical converter.
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

adamm1704 wrote:The mph stickers are just a refrenece so you dont end up speeding. And its up too you. If you wanna save some money and take the pin out then do that but be carfull not to damage the internals of the clocks. If you wanna play it safe and have your speedometer and odemeter reading in mph then buy the mechanical converter.
odemeter whats one of them n just ordered 1 yeeee