ZXR400 H1 another overheating issue

Moderator: Moderators

mattninja
My Bike: Triumph Street Triple

ZXR400 H1 another overheating issue

Post by mattninja »

Hi there, am reading the other thread regarding overheating with interest. Have just purchased a H1 SP (some tell me it's called a J1?) am having amongst other issues (carbs need setting up properly and seems to have a small oil leak) an overheating problem. A quick blast is not problem, but as soon as it's sat in traffic (even just waiting at a junction after covering 10k or so)the temp gauge goes above the 2nd white line and the thing starts to overheat. The fan does kick in but it seems to be too late? Not being used to ZXR's it does seem to get hot quickly, or is that what they do?
Have drained the coolant (no oil in it so I guess that's a good sign?) and refilled but no difference.
Here's a clue, in the ad for the bike the guy did say he hadn't heard the fan kick in so best to check the switch... As I said it does kick in but I'm not sure if too late.
Any help most appreciated, am most concerned Ive bought myself a bag of trouble that I can't ride!
Thanks in advance, Matt.
PS great to find the forum, will post some pics once Ive got this issue sorted.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: ZXR400 H1 another overheating issue

Post by R P Corse »

Hey mate, firstly, SP H1 is otherwise known as J1. H2 SP is the J2!

These bikes do run hot, I do a fair bit of town riding and my fan comes on nearer the end of my journey, it's ok for the temp guage to sit smack back in the middle when the fan comes on and when your not going for a blast, happens on my bike - did today due to the Olympic torch being round my area do was sat in slow moving traffic.

Hope that helps!
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

As BigB says, if the fan is kicking in around the halfway mark on the gauge and then it doesn't go any higher you haven't got a problem, it's doing its work. If you look at the size of the rad (with curvature) for just a 400cc engine then you'll appreciate that this bike needs a LOT of cooling and if you come to a stand straight after a long thrash it will have to fan itself. On the odd occasion I get stopped at, say, a railway crossing in the country I turn the engine off straight away (the fan will still come on with the ignition off) as it really doesn't need to be idling on top of all this. But, of course, if you get stuck in crawling traffic that's not an option, so you'll just need to let the fan control things. The Kwak owners handbook does say to not let the engine idle for more than a few minutes when at operating temperature, which is kinda warning you that these are not bikes well suited to a lot of stuck-in-traffic moments.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
mattninja

Post by mattninja »

thanks guys that's most useful.
mattninja

Post by mattninja »

Just thought I'd provide an update. Sadly it was the head gasket and the bike also had no thermostat fitted...

However seems all good now, really enjoying it.

Lesson learnt...when buying a bike just cos someone tells you they've done the head gasket all might no be what it seems!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

Sorry to hear about the problems mate but glad its finally sorted!