Overheating! please help

Moderator: Moderators

v1nn13
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Overheating! please help

Post by v1nn13 »

Hey guys, i bought my H1 back in February from chesterfield and rode her all the way home to Ashford (around 220 miles) without missing a beat. She behaved herself every day until summer came round (bout mid-June time) when one day, on a nice ride, i noticed the temp was climbing dangerously, so i pulled up to let her cool off and to check her over. However, I noticed when the engine was killed, she dumped about a liter of coolant onto the floor which meant the tank had emptied the time she had cooled again. when i got home i filled her up, bled the system and tried again...still same problem. So i decided to change the Rad cap as a cheap starting point...still same problem. Changed the Radiator itself...still same problem. The system has been pressure checked and no leaks are obvious. Starting to fear for a head gasket change as this is only mode of transport at the moment, no signs that is has gone though. No mayo in oil, No white smoke emitting from exhaust and engine runs like a dream. :smt012

Anyone had the same problem and found the cause. Help would be very much appreciated as cant be doing with her off the road for weeks on end.

Thanks
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Overheating! please help

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you checked the thermostat? what colour was or is the coolant?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Is the water pump working? Sounds a bit odd to me that it overheated while you were on the move yet you have no symptoms of HG problems. I just wonder whether the pump is actually pumping. It's easy enough to remove and you can then inspect it and the drive to it to make sure everything is turning and intact.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

mine had exactly the same problem. i changed all the above plus the oil cooler and lines, water hoses, header tank, thermostat. it turned out to be the head gasket had a split in it so it was letting coolant out but not mixing it with oil, if that makes sense? i got it cylinder pressure checked and one was out- i think they were 90,92 82 90 ish or somthing. it turned out somone had put non standard pistons in it and had done the head bolts up in the wrong order.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

possibly an air lock of some sort
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

tobomoto wrote:mine had exactly the same problem. i changed all the above plus the oil cooler and lines, water hoses, header tank, thermostat. it turned out to be the head gasket had a split in it so it was letting coolant out but not mixing it with oil, if that makes sense? i got it cylinder pressure checked and one was out- i think they were 90,92 82 90 ish or somthing. it turned out somone had put non standard pistons in it and had done the head bolts up in the wrong order.
i think they were 90,92 82 90 - thats not 1 out...thats all 4 out...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

banner001 wrote: i think they were 90,92 82 90 - thats not 1 out...thats all 4 out...
i cant really remember now, it was back in 2000! i really didnt think much of the place though but at the time they were the only place near me that had a dyno machine. cant bellieve they still have a race team going. they were as unhelpful as anything, just kept going on about doing my head gasket but didnt like it when i said 'if you dont know roughly whats wrong with it, still, they relieved me of £98 so it was all good (for them at least)
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
v1nn13

Post by v1nn13 »

Problem was either head gasket or thermostat/seal, although cant be sure as replaced the thermostat and thermostat seal at the same time as the head gasket :/...she's all better now :)