Radiator Drainage Bolt Location??

Moderator: Moderators

JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Radiator Drainage Bolt Location??

Post by JamieNeve »

Hey All,

I recently noticed that I am out of coolant, so will need to replace it. That's not a problem and I have spare coolant!

My problem is that the coolant still in the radiator is not looking too healthy so I want to drain it, and flush it through with water before I put the new coolant inside, however I am having a problem finding where I can drain the radiator from.

On the site there is instructions on how to do it on the 'H' model, but mine is an L2 therefore it does not apply for mine.

Would someone be able to tell me the exact location of the drainage bolt, and maybe snap a picture of it for me?

Sorry for being a noob! I'm 17 and this is my first bike, I'm just starting to learn all the ins and outs of Bike maintenance!

Cheers!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Radiator Drainage Bolt Location??

Post by banner001 »

first, unscrew the radiator cap, then there is a pipe on the left hand side of the bike going from the radiator to the water pump, undo that pipe where it joins the water pump, that will drain the coolant from the radiator and the upper system.

you will also need to drain the coolant from the cylinder block, there are 2 screws underneath where the exhausts come from, those are your cylinder drain screws.

once its all drained blast the outside of the bike with some water...you dont want coolant everywhere.

then put the cylinder drain bolts back in, and with a garden hose, flush water through the radiator, then reattach the coolant pipe from the rad to the water pump and turn on the hose again. when the system fully refills, drain it again, then reattach everything and refill with 50/50 coolant for aluminium radiators. remember to flush and refill the expansion bottle as well. you will need 2.3L of coolant.

then remove the rad cap and start the bike for a few seconds, 5 seconds is plenty of time, this will force any air out of the system, dont do this for too long or the coolant will warm and expand out of your radiator. topup the system if necessary and you are done.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Awesome!

Thanks for the detailed response!

:)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

no problems bud.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003