Low voltage at fan switch?

Moderator: Moderators

Duck
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Low voltage at fan switch?

Post by Duck »

Hi folks, the bike started getting hot (hotter than usual) in traffic so I decided to flush and replace the coolant and give the rad a bit of a clean, now its all back together the fan doesn't come on, I tested the voltage on the switch wires and its floating around 3v? Should it not be 12v? I haven't put any voltage straight into the fan to check that's working properly yet as I ran out of time but will try tomorrow, Just seems strange to have 3v there or is that right?
I'm not much of an electrician so any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
L4, J1 engine, Micron pipe's, J1 Shock, K1 front brake's
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Re: Low voltage at fan switch?

Post by banner001 »

the voltage flowing should be dependent on the temperature, what temperature did yo test at? ill stick my multimeter on mine this evening if i remember.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Duck

Post by Duck »

From just half way on the gauge till over 3/4.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

hmm, that does seem off, im sure the voltage should increase over temperature, and at that temp the fan should be on...sorry, its late now, ill test mine at cold in the morning, and maybe get to test it when warm/hot tomorrow evening.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Duck

Post by Duck »

Ok it defies all logic but it's fixed it's self....

Came out today pulled the tank and air box off to get to the fan connector, wired it to the battery and it spun.
Checked the wiring diagram for the fan circuit it goes; battery - 30A fuse on starter relay - 10A fuse in the box - fan switch - fan - ground, I checked the voltage at each point and it's just over 12V all the way, Can't figure out what was going on yesterday maybe I was in the sun too long or had 1 too many beers or both but anyway it seems fine now.
Thought I'd check the resistance on the fan switch just to make sure and, it's dead, I can't get any readings off it from cold to nearly boiling over, rang Cradley for a price they said £63.94 + vat!!! bit pricey to say the least.
What's your thought's on wiring in a standard switch somewhere to turn the fan on manually?
It's a bit of a bodge but I cant see why it wont work till I get it sorted properly.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Will be fine as an interim fix, but the problem is that if the bike is hot, even when you turn the bike off the fan will keep going, if you dont wire it properly as soon as you turn the bike off the fan will stop and might blow your head gasket, just make sure you wire to a permanent live :smt004