oil cooler blanking plates??

Moderator: Moderators

alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Re: oil cooler blanking plates??

Post by alanh »

I removed mine for weight loss and less to break when i bin it, nowt wrong with the cooler itsself.
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

from what i can see (and i may well be wrong) in the oil flow diagram in the L model manual it shows the oil cooler with its pipes. Where the pipes enter the engine there is a bypass hole just before the pipe exits the engine (number 25) this is where the oil would exit the engine to reach the oil cooler if it is attached, if not and you put a bolt on the hole the oil will simply cycle back into the engine through the bypass hole in exactly the same way as it would if the oil cooler is attached as when the "cooler" oil re-enters the engine it simply moves out through an oil passage (number 4) into the engine. seal it of with 2 bolts (maybe helicoil it?) then the oil will still circulate. Banners method will work just it doesn't look as good but for a temporary fix it should be fine. And a question from me to the people have removed the oil cooler... simply why? What is the benefit? reduced weight? hotter oil works better for a race engine as it is less viscous and flows easier through the engine to protect it at constant high revs compared to a road bike where you may ride it fast at high revs then as you come of the slip road to the traffic lights it cools? New bikes don't seem to have the same style oil cooler? they use a pipe that runs through the rad? hope you understand my late night jibberish :smt020 Ross
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I removed the oil cooler because I had an oil leak that left me with a DNF at the MGP...............................it's one less thing to worry about.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

ah ok, is there any negative effects of not having the oil cooler? Worse running etc?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I've done at least 3 years of racing with NO oil cooler and I've not had any oil related issues................. to be fair I'm changing oil more often than what would be considered normal use but then races engines are running at 14K revs for a lot more than normal use.

No running problems and no overheating problems...............on a cold day I'd have tape on the rad to get the temp up a little
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

anyone removed the cooler from a road bike?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

silly question, what tape do you use to do the rad? this morning it was just above freezing and my bike was stuttering because of the cold, so I might tape up my rad a bit to keep the temperature up. thanks
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

ross46 wrote:silly question, what tape do you use to do the rad? this morning it was just above freezing and my bike was stuttering because of the cold, so I might tape up my rad a bit to keep the temperature up. thanks

gaffer tape..........................best used if the rad is warm.

your thermostat should maintain your bikes temp or have you removed it ?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

thermostat is still on, its that its so cold the bike doesnt like getting UP to temperature, once it's there it's fine, lovely and smooth, but takes an age to get there, so im thinking of just putting a bit of tape on it and then if the fan has to cut in too often i can always remove it