Bike overheating

Moderator: Moderators

Wilki
My Bike: ZXR 400

Bike overheating

Post by Wilki »

Hello,

I did 20 miles today on my ZXR 400 and when I got off the 70 MPH roads and into town stop start traffic I saw my temperature gauge rise up to just under the top of the guage, I do have coolant in the system and have heard the coolant drain back into the bottle after I have stopped the bike so I know that is working. Do you guys have any ideas?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Bike overheating

Post by banner001 »

probably head gasket, not expensive if you do it yourself, but takes a good few hours as you need to ideally drop then engine.

i had similar issues to you before i replaced the head gasket - i had a burbling sound after coming to a halt and shutting the engine off after a ride. check your radiator for air, if after topping it up and going for several rides here is air/space in there, its HG replacement time.

FYI when riding hot coolant should flow INTO the bottle, then when you stop and it starts to cool down (and reduce in volume) the vacuum sucks it slowly back into the radiator.

you can check your rad cap, replace the coolant and check the lines for kinks as well.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003