carb heater & water pump

Moderator: Moderators

madmort
My Bike: zxr 400 l2

carb heater & water pump

Post by madmort »

Hi just in the middle of engine swap from l model to a h engine and upon fitting the water hoses the pipe from carb back to the head their is no inlet where the l model is,
Question is is this really needed as not planning to do winter riding,
Also I was told that this engine was running in a l model and I've heard you have to rotate the water pump yet I can not find any photos of this been done so other question is how would you no this has been done.
Many thanks
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: carb heater & water pump

Post by banner001 »

the carb heater is supposed to prevent carb icing, ive not known anyone to genuinely have it on here, and many people (myself included) have removed the carb heating system with no issues - so just blank off any bits of the pipework and you are good to go.

you dont rotate the water pump, you rotate the outlet coming from the cylinder head that goes to the radiator, on the H models this needs to point to the left of the bike (as the coolant expansion valve is located near the headstock) on the L models you run the pipe to the right of the engine as the radiator inlet is located on the right of the radiator under an access panel.

so if you have a H engine with a L radiator you need to have the outlet pipe from the cylinder head running to the right.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
madmort
My Bike: zxr 400 l2

Re: carb heater & water pump

Post by madmort »

Thanks for the reply