Running high Temperature

Moderator: Moderators

D0n H
My Bike: 1992 Kawasaki ZXR400

Running high Temperature

Post by D0n H »

Hi Guys

i am hoping i could get some advise on what to do. i have just bought a immaculate ZXR400 , she ride like and absolute dream. But i am have a temperature problem when cruising under 80 KMH the water bottle will boil up and the temp gauge does work and so does the fan. maybe i should install an extra fan on the radiator? oh and i do stay in china so it is humid here and sometimes extreme traffic. i would really appreciate some input, thank you
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Running high Temperature

Post by banner001 »

Hello, first take a look at the condition of your radiator, if it has a lot of dirt/damage to the front of it it might not be cooling efficiently...however, you say the bike is immaculate so this is unlikely to be the case.

If the radiator looks ok, then its likely to be one of 2 problems, your head gasket has been damaged and is letting combustion gases enter your cooling system, or your thermostat is damaged and is not opening, this causes the coolant close to your engine to boil and emerge as bubbles.

Wait until your bike is cold, topup the coolant in the radiator, leave the coolant cap off and start your bike. if you have a semi-constant stream of bubbles from your engine for the first couple of minutes then your head gasket has probably become damaged. if you see no bubbles, or you only get a few bubbles at the very beginning then its probably your thermostat.

when your bottle starts to boil up what is the temperature dial reading? if its reading cold then it probably the head gasket, if its reading hot its probably the thermostat.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
D0n H
My Bike: 1992 Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by D0n H »

thank for this info i will check it... the temperature gauge indicator does go high but she has never gone fully into the red but the need does go way over half.
fstarocka

Post by fstarocka »

My honda used to run at 3/4 in our summer, esp in traffic on a boiling day.

Alternatively install a manual fan switch, or check that your thermostat is working using a kettle or something.

Half to 85% is the operating range, id only worry when it's close to full..

But overflow bubbling, maybe replace your radiator cap?

You can also try a leak down test on cylinders to check for a cyl head leak, or put in a strong mixture of coolant, if u have water leaking u can smell a sweet smell out exhaust when running..

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk