Overheating

Moderator: Moderators

viperdf25

Overheating

Post by viperdf25 »

Hi all I've just joined this group last summer I bought a zxr400h lovely condition had a few rides out no problems... then one afternoon I started her up noticed the oil light didn't come on but I'm a newbie so didn't think anything of it, then after about 30mins or so I noticed the temperature gauge was really high, pulled over coolant all over the back but my fan was not on... won't start after 15 mins then she started. Any idea what it could be... cheers

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/589e0ab5121 ... 132553.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Overheating

Post by Miles »

Sounds like the head gaskets gone. Compression test is needed
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Overheating

Post by banner001 »

the oil light is a pressure light, it should only come on when riding if your oil pressure drops so that normal.

i would also say that its likely to be the HG, however i would also be checking the condition of your radiator, give your coolant system a good flush through with plenty of water, then drain the water and fill with brand new coolant, bleed the system and go for a quick 5-10 minute ride, this should fully remove any bubbles from your coolent.

now leave your bike on its sidestand, make sure your overflow tank is topped up correctly and leave your bike to fully cooldown, so 4-6 hours, overnight if possible.

now topup your radiator and coolant overflow bottles and go for a good ride, if you are still loosing coolant it is a problem with your HG or your thermostat not opening etc and needs investigating. if the problem is resolved it could have been really degraded coolant, or a blockage of the system somewhere.

but im going with HG, cost for the gasket is £40, if you can fit it it yourself check your cam chain tension and your valve clearances at the same time, if you are taking it to a garage your looking at about £250 for the HG alone...this is a good bike though to learn how to do it all yourself.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003