Overheating

Moderator: Moderators

hectormedlicott
My Bike: ZXR 400

Overheating

Post by hectormedlicott »

Hi everyone,

A few rides ago I serviced my bike (new plugs, oil, filters, and coolant) and initially had no problems. My second ride however my fan never cut in and I was riding round slowly with lots of other bikes so there wasn't a huge amount of cool air going through, I look down and my gauge is way over temp. I stopped and coolant was dripping all over the floor. I got it back home and topped the coolant up through the radiator cap and went out for a ride, the bike seemed fine, didn't go above half way up the gauge. Two or three trips later and it starts overheating again. I get it back and undo the reservoir cap to find the I met rubber cap seal sucking into the reservoir tank. I pulled it of and lots of air seemed to suck in. Let it cool went back out and it was fine, topped up the fluid a little more and it didn't go much above a third of the way up the gauge, so I thought ideal it's cured. However I took it out today and it didn't get to the hot part of the gauge but even with the fan on it was at the top end just under the H of the gauge. When I sped up down fast roads (60/70mph) the temp came back down to mid way or just around there until I got stuck behind traffic or slowed down in town. When I loosen the rad cap when the engine is hot, I hear gurgling and like steam/air is coming out. When I let it cool a little and take the cap completely off I can't see any fluid. Is the problem simply that there isn't enough coolant in there? Should I see coolant from the rad cap hole? The reservoir tank is full.

Thanks in advance.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Overheating

Post by banner001 »

Head gasket gone, blocked thermostat, blocked radiator, coolant pump dead...I would test each one. Though visibly losing coolant usually.means head gasket...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
hectormedlicott
My Bike: ZXR 400

Re: Overheating

Post by hectormedlicott »

Thanks for your reply