help... coolant

Moderator: Moderators

RstredS

Post by RstredS »

yep the water pump works, can see it pushing water around, any idea of how much a daler will want to do the gasket?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

don't know i did mine myself, i would guess around £250??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

ok how hard is it to do? im fairly good, done loads of 2t engine rebuilds, but never touched a 4t. Im a bit worried about the cam tensioner, it sounds a right pig? shold i be worried? also whats the best way of geting the engine out? on a jack? thanks.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

engine has to come out sideways if i remember right, so get someone to hold the bike while 2 of you lift the engine out.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

lol sounds fun, does it say in the manual?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

do you not believe me?
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

no i didnt mean that lol i meant i wonder if the manual syas how to drop it etc etc.. well i think kawasaki made an attempt lol.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

anybody care to do a guide of what to do, once the engine is out.. thanks! :smt006
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i would have thought the manual would tell you everything, what do you want to know?
superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

alrite streds harsh about the headgasket tbh man i would of thought it would have been gone when you got it? or did you check for bubbles in the rad ect then?
as for the tensioner i can do them and ill tell ya how to do it, headgasket shouldnt be to hard, just follow the manual for getting the top end off, make sure you remember things like cam timings ect. if you make some money off that frame you found you might be able to get a garage to do it
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

cheers lou, will be starting tonight so i will see how it goes... keep u updated. thanks everyone!
superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

bah my other rad leaks :'( meh it had so much mud on it the breakers didnt think it did, so my old rads back on and isnt leaking becus of the rad seal, im gonna bid on another but hopefully have my money back for the other one, bikes still warm though :S i ride it a mile, and could feel the heat coming off it standing afew inches away is this normal?
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

yeh lou, even my mates gets friggin hot standing near it...
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

just beware if your doing your own head gaskets that theres a chance when the gasket blew it warped the head, if the heads warped and you've installed a new gasket it'll blow again quite soon or not seal at all.

You dont even need to use a proper gasket though, cereal boxes work pretty well as gaskets, just soak em in oil for a min before putting them on and it'll seal itself in shortly. Oh and cut it out carefully :)

ZXR's are hot running bikes, high temperatures shouldnt be a worry unless its boiling over without the air temp being too hot. Their not meant to be trundled along in heavy traffic on hot days, they will heat up very quickly like this.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xphyral wrote:just beware if your doing your own head gaskets that theres a chance when the gasket blew it warped the head, if the heads warped and you've installed a new gasket it'll blow again quite soon or not seal at all.

You dont even need to use a proper gasket though, cereal boxes work pretty well as gaskets, just soak em in oil for a min before putting them on and it'll seal itself in shortly. Oh and cut it out carefully :)
yeah cereal packets make excellent gaskets for exhaust manifolds and rocker cover manifolds on old marinas, cortinas etc etc but a head gasket on a zxr400! rather you than me, and definitely if you're gonna do it yourself get some engineer to check the head for skimming if needed!.