Over Heating????

Moderator: Moderators

mike-h
My Bike: tomos moped

Over Heating????

Post by mike-h »

Hey there, I am brand new to the ZXR 400 world and loving every minute of it! I am just a little concerened that my engine is running hot at times. Might be paranoia but I have just spent £600 sorting the head gasket out on an MGF. I have no leaks but after a good ride the needle jumps up when I am in slow traffic. Is this normal or should I start saving my pennies??
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

first thing i'd do mate is check/change the coolant mixture, if there's not a good mixture in there it will overheat, if the water is rusty then there's no or not enough antifreeze, its there to stop the bike overheating and also stops the thermostat seizing up with rust.

ps welcome to my world :-)
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
mike-h

Post by mike-h »

Thanks! Been watching for a while now but decided to join in.
My bike has just had a major service before I bought it and the coolant was drained and new put in... amongst a load of other work. It just seems to edge up when I am slow or stoped, then when I get going again things go back to normal. I am on 21k miles and I know thats about when the HG tends to go and thought that might be the first signs?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

as long as it don't go to the top and start spewing out coolant i wouldn't worry, but i'm the first to worry when my temp gauge on the cage starts rising.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
The Pole

Post by The Pole »

Mike mine does this aswell and always has even at 6,000 miles and i dont think its too much to worry about. (i hope). at the end of the day the bike wasn't designed to go slow in traffic, thats the way i see it anyway. maybe im just heading towards some expensive repairs.
When one lives in a world full of madmen, one should train as a maniac.
mike-h

Post by mike-h »

I reckon it's just something I will have to keep an eye on. No coolant is spewing out so I reckon I will just keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks lads.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

It's a kawasaki, they arnt made to cope with slow moving traffic. It's nothing to worry about though it's totally normal.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Sagacious1
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Sagacious1 »

You'll be grateful for it in the winter - keeps your knees warm! :smt002
Good girls ride motorbikes - bad girls thrash 'em!
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

mine used to have an override switch on the side of the screen for the fan - well good idea!

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

yes gem and all it needed was some antifreeze :smt005
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

yeah i remember that, the water that came out looked like what i do after a night on the curry! :smt119

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
Russ
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Russ »

I just got home on my new acquisition. I thought my legs and bum were getting hot but when I stopped and I sat in a steam bath I guessed there was something wrong! I've got rusty coolant spitting out of hose unions and the radiator cap but not the expansion bottle!!!!!! Must be something blocked somewhere. Back on the old Honda tomorrow and the Kwack can come to bits Saturday. Odd thing is not once did the needle show it as overheating. :smt017
Dont jiiiive me turkey..........a turkey is a bad person!
Russ
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Russ »

I just got home on my new acquisition. I thought my legs and bum were getting hot but when I stopped and I sat in a steam bath I guessed there was something wrong! I've got rusty coolant spitting out of hose unions and the radiator cap but not the expansion bottle!!!!!! Must be something blocked somewhere. Back on the old Honda tomorrow and the Kwack can come to bits Saturday. Odd thing is not once did the needle show it as overheating. :smt017
Dont jiiiive me turkey..........a turkey is a bad person!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

think you will find if you just flush the rad through with clean water then fill with coolant mixture it will sort it out.
mike-h

Post by mike-h »

Sure you hadn't wet your pants??? Failing that I would deffo check for a blockage, old rubbers tubes tend to disolve from the insides and cause blockages.