coolant reservoir

Moderator: Moderators

grabejud

coolant reservoir

Post by grabejud »

just so lately ive noticed that my bike dont have anymore coolant bottle reservoir, and currently have something attached to hose to prevent it from overflowing..is it ok not have one (coolant bottle)? or should i?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

kawasaki put it there for a reason mate obviously if its blocked off then you won't lose any but surely that'll pressurise the system more than it needs??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
grabejud

Post by grabejud »

ive just checked the rad and found out that its half way full just to compensate for coolant expanding, so now im planning to fabricate my own reservoir. since i havent seen the original coolant tank, do you have any suggestions on how to make one?

thanks again
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

mmmm wouldn't it be easier to get one off ebay? don't get me wrong i'm all for one off stuff and if you can make it yourself even better. got an alloy welder??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

I run my hybrid with a small plastic bottle cable tied on to the clock bracket, the overflow from the rad runs into this with the pipe going to the bottom of the bottle, then a breather come out the top and vents to fresh air..

works fine, race style innit :) lol

this has been done because there's nowhere to fit the standard catch tank with the bigger engine in.

best to get a stock one off ebay, or try barton motors in bath for one.

i definitely wouldn't run it with no catch tank and only half full though, you'll get innacurate readings on the temp gauge and could blow the notoriously weak head-gasket
grabejud

Post by grabejud »

thanks for the tip zimm, btw, im planning to change the coolant & water in it prblem is, i dunno where the drain plug for the coolant..though i have a guess that its one of those small bolt on screws on the left lower portion of the engine, the problem is, there are three of em.. :smt119
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Just undo the hose clip where the hose from the rad attaches on to the water pump pull the hose off and all you water/coolant will drain.

Have a container there ready to catch it.

And be careful no to damage the hose as you pull it off it will be stuck at first.

put it back on before you refill !
grabejud

Post by grabejud »

thanks alot cargo, will have it done by this weekend.
grabejud

drain plugs

Post by grabejud »

finally got hold of an zxrH manual. there are basically 3 drain plugs, one on the lower left portion of the engine, and two just below the cylinder heads..