Coolant change

Moderator: Moderators

rossd

Coolant change

Post by rossd »

hi guys i was going to drain my coolant from my bike but not sure where to start lol could somebody please giv me a little guide, cheers.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: Coolant change

Post by rene »

ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
rossd

Post by rossd »

is this the same for L model ?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

id expect so, even if its not the princable is the same. Just rember to take your time and get it done properly!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
f17th
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by f17th »

Its easier on the L model as the radiator filler cap is easily accesable,

On the H you have to take the fuel tank off so it becomes a two man job, Or just a very awkward job for One person.

I did mine the other day and just removed one of the radiator hoses and flushed it through as I didnt realise there was a drain nut that can be undone.

Should of really RTM before i started.

I've still gotta top the levels up but shall do that this weekend while trying to sort out a bloody oil leak I have from the Sump and some of the bolts.

Tis rather annoying as had a look last night and I will have to remove the Rad's and exhaust to get to it all :-(
ninjawolf
My Bike: zxr400

Post by ninjawolf »

Hello,
Where is the coolant drain plug? I've been trying to find it in 2 different manuals and it doesn't explicitly say which one it is. Can someone help???
Thanks.
ninjawolf

Post by ninjawolf »

Oh I forgot to mention, I have an L1 model.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Are the coolant drain plugs not the two bolts on the front of the cylinder block?

I've always drained from here and taken the bottom coolant pipe off the left hand side of the radiator
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

Miles wrote:Are the coolant drain plugs not the two bolts on the front of the cylinder block?

I've always drained from here and taken the bottom coolant pipe off the left hand side of the radiator
Its the lowest one on the water pump where left foot sits on bike- crack it off don't be afraid, take off the rad cap aswell or it won't flow out cos of the vacuum, the other bolts around it are mounting bolts so if you undo the wrong one theres no panic just put it back on!
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

Miles wrote:Are the coolant drain plugs not the two bolts on the front of the cylinder block?
They just drain the channels around the cylinders not the rest of the system!
The just drain the channels around the cylinders not the rest of the system!, removing the pipe wud get most out but not the stuff in the water pump which is what you want to keep gunk free!
Last edited by rccaulfield on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjawolf

Post by ninjawolf »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going give it a go on tomorrow night.
ninjawolf

Post by ninjawolf »

THe bike has green coolant in it. I've done a search on google but thee's no definitive answer as to whether or not I can use blue coolant. Does anyone know a good site that explains the difference between the green and blue coolant? And is the ZXR400 compatible with blue? Sorry for the lack of knowledge but I've never really come across green coolant. I've only ever used blue and that was with cars.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i thought blue = propylene glycol, green = ethylene glycol...

if so...

DO NOT MIX THEM!

you will need to do a through coolant flush otherwise you will gunk your system up.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Post by syihabuddin »

banner001 wrote:i thought blue = propylene glycol, green = ethylene glycol...

That's too much Science for the uninitiated!