Useing a lot of water

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Useing a lot of water

Post by masterofinsanity »

if you only have water then your engine will start to rust up, if you're only filling the expansion tank there's probably no water in your rad or system hence why its getting soo hot.get the tank off , disconnect the rad while your at it and flush it through with a hose pipe to get shot of as much rusty water as possible, then connect back up and fill with a suitable coolant mixture ie water and antifreeze (as said before antifreeze not only stops the water freezing in the winter but its also a summer coolant and rust prohibitor) run the engine to let the coolant mixture fill all the air blocks then check and refill coolant to correct level. Check the manual for correct water/antifreeze mixture.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Post by tng21 »

masterofinsanity wrote:if you only have water then your engine will start to rust up, if you're only filling the expansion tank there's probably no water in your rad or system hence why its getting soo hot.get the tank off , disconnect the rad while your at it and flush it through with a hose pipe to get shot of as much rusty water as possible, then connect back up and fill with a suitable coolant mixture ie water and antifreeze (as said before antifreeze not only stops the water freezing in the winter but its also a summer coolant and rust prohibitor) run the engine to let the coolant mixture fill all the air blocks then check and refill coolant to correct level. Check the manual for correct water/antifreeze mixture.

nice one baz, cheers, thanks everyone. Im guessing i have no water in the system at all then as its only the expansion tank i fill, the previous owner was the one who said to fill that :smt013 I have no knowledge of bikes what so ever so i dont know any of this. Taking the tank off just to fill the rad up etc sounds like a ballache, do i have to do it often? Like you do in cars.

Im always hesistant in taking things apart coz im one of those people who can take things apart but never manage to put things back together again. :smt012
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

ok now im worried, started to take the tank off, took the two bolts out near the battery and the one near the clocks, lifted the tank a little ( its full ) it wont come up too far coz of the tap you turn the petrol on with, but i cant see anything under there part from the cars with the airbox ontop and the expansion bottle ive been filling anyway, dont want to pull it up any more as i heard a gurgle from the tank and some started to drip near the tap.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

looking at the H manual it appears to have a capped rad just like the L. it looks like its at the front right of the bike, roughly underneath the right handlebar. Have a shuffty and fill it there.
Andy
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

all sorted now, that was nerve racking lol

i nitced the manual says both L and H model rads are the same, so i dont know what rad ive got coz it neither. As said, i took off the tank, the fairing and top half of the airbox and underneath that was the filler cap. Confusing. Dunno if i got enough in there as i had to squeeze the rad pipes for it to go down, Airlocks? Found something else though, those wires that goes into the top of the rocker cover, what are they? One of mine is snapped!!! but bike runs fine. hmmmmm.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

do you mean your HT leads? :smt017
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well yeahy, thats what i thought they'd be but surel snapped then it woud only be running on three wouldnt it, bike runs fine though, unless it doesnt and i just dont know about it but surely my mae janine would of niticed while she's been riding it
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

you should be able to hear easily enough if it's only running on three cylinders - if it sounds like a triumph it's probably only firing on 3. :-P
start your mates up and then start yours up straight afterwards and see if there is any difference in sound

whip the tank off and have a proper look - it only takes a couple of minutes to take it off and you have much better access without it in the way. Change the air filter whilst youve got the tank off.

Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

thats what i mjean, its sounds fine and sounds like its running on four, mine sounds better than my mates, but thats due to the can.

strange.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

get a photie of this wire dude
Andy
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

sod that ive put the tank and everything back on now lol. Ill take some photos at the weekend
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

tng21 wrote:sod that ive put the tank and everything back on now lol. Ill take some photos at the weekend
sounds to me like you need to take the tank off and spend a day familiarising yourself with the bike and sorting things out
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well ive nicked a picture of someones build thread just to highlight where the wire goes thats been cut or snapped so people know what im on about.

dunno which way round the engine sits in the bike from the pic so ive highlighted either end, but when its in the frame, its the hole on the left hand side if your sitting on the bike.

so the one of the left hand side? what wire/cable goes in there coz mine was either cut or snapped and was tucked out of the way, bike died today ( see my other thread in having problems ) and just wondered if this wire has anything to do with it, although its the first time its died on me and wire must of been snapped/cut since ive had it

gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

That would be the HT leads ..

Seriously, just look in the manual.

Nice big exploded view diagrams of everything including wiring.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

gubbs wrote:That would be the HT leads ..

Seriously, just look in the manual.

Nice big exploded view diagrams of everything including wiring.
well thats all good saying that but i cant even find a exploded view of it, found one of the rocker cover etc but doesnt show you and leads that went to it.

Thought the idea of having a problem section or a forum at all would be to ask for help. Its not good to me keep saying look at the manual coz it aint tellin me naff all. ( this is not intended to come across snotty by the way )

Surely if it was HT leads it would only be running on three though and wouldnt sound rite, but its been fine until today