Coolant leak

Moderator: Moderators

Haggis
My Bike: ZRX1200s

Re: Coolant leak

Post by Haggis »

Knackered seal on the radiator cap was my water problem.
I think I was looking too hard for something interesting. :smt012
There's no substitute for cubes!
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

as a general rule, if something starts playing up after you have changed/broken/lost something then thats the first place to start
as i said in my previous post, it should be a sealed system :-)

glad you got it sorted!!
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
ross59

Post by ross59 »

Given up........ doing the head gasket this weekend should be fun, just hoping that is it :smt017
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

Caz wrote:
ross59 wrote:I have to fill my bike up with coolant every 100 miles or so, is this normal??? It comes out the overflow on the expansion bottle when stationary but is barely noticable. The cap on the expansion bottle isn't the right one as it fell off an i have been unable to find a replacement yet could this cause an issue as it doesn't seem to be sucking it back like it used too? I have checked for the obvious signs of the head gasket going but all seems ok. :smt013 :smt017
sounds to me like you have a leak in the system. Im assuming that the bike isnt pissing coolant, so it is possibly caused by the incorrect reservoir cap? the coolant circuit needs to be a sealed system, if it isnt sealed you run the risk of coolant evaporating when the bike gets hot.

Id get the correct reservoir cap on asap and then see if you still have a problem, and also check that you have no air in the system. That could be another reason for you having to top the coolant up every 100 miles or so
the expansion tank isnt selaed though so it wont be the cap causing the problem. rad cap maybe but not expansion tank cap.
ross59

Post by ross59 »

Head Gasket done and all working fine, problem solved took it out for a hours ride no issues no leaks. biggrin