Moderator: Moderators

Leanne_zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Oil and water leaks

Post by Leanne_zxr »

Hi,

After recently lobbing my bike down the road my bike has developed a water leak! There is water that now drips out from the general area of the water pump. Im wondering if its possible that its moved a bit or maybe come loose.

But i have read the manual and it stats 'If the mechanical seal is damaged, the coolant leaks through the seal and drains through the passage. Replace the water pump unit. "

Before taking the bike all apart has anyone else experienced this problem? and does it sound like I need to replace the whole water pump?

Also I have an oil leak from around the sump area. I couldn't find the exact section in the manual about the sump removal. Is it a fairly easy job to remove? I assume that I probably just need to replace the gasket to solve the oil leaking problem.

Failling all that I might just try to find a mechanic as I am pretty tired of fixing my bike up! anyone know a good un? :smt003

Kindly RobB offered to help my out but I am probably going to be struggling to get down to gillingham as I live 200 miles away.

Thanks,

Leanne

x
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Re: Oil and water leaks

Post by Northern ANdy »

How badly was it lobbed? Gaskets don't usually just 'start' leaking so it could be a damaged sump if it is indeed the sump.

Re: water pump I don't know, but the manual is talking about the tell tale so you can see if the water seal has gone before it wrecks other stuff.
Andy
Leanne_zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Leanne_zxr »

Northern ANdy wrote:How badly was it lobbed? Gaskets don't usually just 'start' leaking so it could be a damaged sump if it is indeed the sump.

Re: water pump I don't know, but the manual is talking about the tell tale so you can see if the water seal has gone before it wrecks other stuff.

I think the bikes been leaking oil for a while not huge amounts. I think its around the sump but i need to check around the head and rocker to check if its not there but im sure ifs localized around the sump area only. In fact all zxrs i have had leaked oil :smt012

But the bike was highsided at around 30/40mph and landed on its left side. Im guessing the force may have just moved things about like water pump but its definatly leaking water from there again not in huge quantities just the odd drip every 5 mins or so but needs sorting.

Leanne
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

My H2 got the same leak Leanne..I just got it good and hot after cleaning the underneith with degreaser, and watched till it leaked..It turned out it was just the sump plug on that one..

My main bike is doin it to...but i cant track that down..hoping the christmas refresh will spot it.