Water Pump?? H Model

Moderator: Moderators

zxr

Water Pump?? H Model

Post by zxr »

Hi to all :smt006

I have just bought a F plate zxr400 H.
Having rode it i camehome and found the water was boiling. Steam rising from the reservoir.
Then noticed water running down the side of the water pump vsad

I hope from reading other threads and the manual on this site that it is the water pump.
I am driving/riding about 2 hours to get a new Pump from a breakers later today.

The pump i have found is also from a newer model. From speaking to various breakers today i am correct in thinking all the water pumps fit up to 2003?

I really would apprieciate some HELP as i want/need the bike ready for saturday..

Thanks.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Water Pump?? H Model

Post by zimm »

all water pumps are interchangeable ..

where is it leaking from ? it may be the (steel) pipe from top of the pump that has corroded, or the o-ring that seals the pipe to the pump, or just the hose that connects it to the housing on the block ?
zxr

Post by zxr »

Thanks

I think it is coming from the hole on the side of the water pump. As i couldnt feel or see any water at the top of the back of the pump(if that makes sense).

I want to get the bike sorted for friday so i can do a track day on saturday.
Just thought on the off chance someone may now of any common/obvious faults with the pumps.

i am tempted to go and buy a pump from a breakers later today although it is a bit of a drive/ride.

Cheers
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

what hole on the side of the water pump ?

??
zxr

Post by zxr »

Sorry when i say hole i mean(the passage. Page 3-7 in the manual on the cooling section):

Water Pump Inspection
.Check the drainage outlet passage at the bottom of the
water pump body for coolant leaks.
* If the mechanical seal is damaged, the coolant leaks
through the seal and drains through the passage.
Replace the water pump unit

Although having only owned the bike for a couple of weeks i dont know :smt017 ... if there is any common faults or easier fixes. I may also buy th metal hose from the top of the pump tommorow aswell if the breakers have one.. Anything as long as the bike is sorted for Saturday at a sensible cost.