Green liquid leaking?!?! Bubbling coolant water?!?!

Moderator: Moderators

saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Re: Green liquid leaking?!?! Bubbling coolant water?!?!

Post by saka_ZXR »

Lemme just make sure before i go fucking everything up, like i have a tendancy to do :smt012

Is it just a matter of disconnecting all the pipes leading to the engine etc and just blasting a hose down the the top end at the filling cap?
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

If you just wanna test the rad, dissconnect the big hose near the rad cap, and the one on the other side. Then pour water where the cap is and see if it comes out the other side.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

But wouldnt that only test for a leak?

Baz and rob suggested i flush the rad out to get rid of any sludge.
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

Mate- you can do this with the rad on or off the bike. Best to take it off but if you are short of time then diconnect the supply and return lines (if you tie or tape lines up you wont need to drain the system - altyhorugh to be honext if the system is dirty then drainign it wont hurt) then use a water hose to (gently initially) flush through the radiator.

It probably goes without sayiing that if you use hot water from a kettle and let it sit for a while then that will tend to loosen up any toad that is in there - however for that to work you need to temporarily block the outlet (some gaffer tape will do it) to keep the hot water in the rad. Then when its all nice and loose - flush it through with a hose in the filler cap until water is floowing freely. If there is still carp in the system then repeat

there are proably proprietary solutions for flushing radiators - havent used them myself so not sure how effective
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

Carp!!! :pmsl . If there are any of those in there you have found the problem :pmsl
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Nice one mate I'll give it a shot tommorow :)
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Right well i gave the rad a huge flushing out 2day and filled it with fresh coolant and water, took her out for a nice big run and gave her abit of a ragging at parts to see if shed get really hot again, pleased to say she didnt :D Problem solved :D I also noticed shes running quiter now, well she wasnt bad just abit of a deep glugging on idling which has now stopped :)

I actually cannot thank you guys enough for your help :D

If it wasnt for u lot pointing it out then i wouldnt have had a bike for my trip to scotland this weekend.

Im currently on the jobless list but as soon as i get back on my feet i will DEFINATLEY be making a donation to the site :D How much does it cost to run the site for a month baz?

Once again thanks to all the lads who helped :D
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

saka_ZXR wrote:
How much does it cost to run the site for a month baz?

£20 a month mate , used to be £75 a month but i upgraded recently :smt003

make sure you recheck the coolant level now you have ridden it a bit.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Ahh nice one baz :D Jesus £75 a month is steep! Good job u changed it :p

Have been checkin the level everytime after I've riden it after it's cooled down, went down about an inch or 2 at first but that was expected as the coolant went round the system :)