hows ye all new here

Moderator: Moderators

old dirty bastard
My Bike: gsxr k1 thou,rd 350 ypvs

hows ye all new here

Post by old dirty bastard »

hows it going O.D.B. here, firstly wanna say hello to all on the site. alright lads and lassies im joined a couple of sites in eire, being biking for as many years as i can remember,i dont have a zxr 4 meself,but am a 100% biker.and have a few bikes and a few projects(so go easy on me as im not a zxr4 owner but looking for a bit of help from you guys who would be in the know about the zxr 4) anyways enough about me.so this is the story a lad i know bought a zxr 400L4 engine went bang,so he goes away and buys an engine for it and its out of a 2001 bike(im unsure,i presume its an L9)now im after being roped in to change the engine,so away i go take one out put the other in simple enough.then i see these 2 inlets just under where the header pipes connect to the head,lads im unsure what to do i think there air inlets for the exhaust gases,look lads im really unsure and would appreciate all the help and info ye would be able to give as to what i can do or need to do to get this lads bike up and running again.so please lads give me some help before i tear what little hair i have left outta my fcuking head.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: hows ye all new here

Post by RedexRobB »

Hello and welcome to the forum, i can only assume the holes you mean are under all 4 of the exhaust outlets? These are drainage holes from the spark plug wells and allow oil and water to drain out and not foul the plug. there should be some on the original engine too.
old dirty bastard

hows it going redxrob thanks for the reply,im gonna stick up a couple of pic's one will be of the new engine you will see the the parts im on about and the 2nd will be of the older engine without the parts im talking about,pic's are off my phone so not the best quality,you will only see one of these inlets or outlets and half he other i could'nt fit them both in on the phone,but it should give you a better idea.thanks again.f**k how do i upload onto this thread,these parts im on about are like there was two pipes connected to them. :i will try to stick the pic's up in the photo gallery
old dirty bastard

alright lads i am having probs uploading the pics of the part of the engine i was on about,so i think i uploaded it to the gallery somewhere in the junk section but it says that admin has to clear it so if u see it admin you might stick it up on the thread for me tanx.O.D.D. confuddled confuddled confuddled
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

WTF is that???

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/coppermine/di ... fullsize=1

Ive no idea, never ever seen anything like that before on a ZXR400 motor. The only thing it looks like it might have something to do with is the cooling system. Theres two bolts which come out to drain the water jacket when changing the coolant where they sit.

Could be some kind of race motor modification??
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

I've got them on a spare set of barrels, god knows what they're for though.

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

they are the reed valves fitted to L4, L5, L7 & L8 motors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Post by tk400 »

Are these for hot air induction? maybe. For faster warm up hence lower cold emmisions.

cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

well ill be damned, never seen them before.

So theres a further recent discovery on the engine differences.....
old dirty bastard

hi lads got to the bottom of it, ya i thought it was somthing to do with the cooling system as well,i did'nt have a manual ,but here's a laugh for ye,this is how i figured it took off the cover and wat i thought looked like a reed valve,but to be honest i was'nt sure, and was still scratching the head,so poped back on the cover connected a coolant pipe to it lit a smoke (the reed valve that i was'nt sure was a reed valve, tanx master of insanity, could only open one way) and blew like a mudder f..ker and heres the smoke out where the header pipes bolt on,ah ha says i, so i knew it was'nt the cooling system.YA I KNOW BUT WAT EVER WORKS RIGHT. any ways a couple of lads replyed to a thread i started on a site im joined late last night and told me exhaust gas recirculation (egr valves)to do with keeping emmisions down,master of insanity you were spot on.anyways i can blank em off job done,tanx to all who replyed ,much apprecited.
(http://www.biker.ie) is the site im on most of the time good bunch of lads there,as here.good to see bike enthusiasts helping each other out all over the world.i will be telling that young lad who owns the the bike to give ye a shout, to say thanks to ye.sure i will probably pop in every now and again to say hello.all the best to all on zxr world smiler smiler smiler smiler oldman oldman