Cam chain tensoiners

Moderator: Moderators

mikeyjp1980
My Bike: ZXR400

Cam chain tensoiners

Post by mikeyjp1980 »

Hi All I am currently trying to solve a few issues with my bike I think possibly its the starter motor/alternator but The AA man seems to think its A Bent valve or B Cam chain tensioner. Long story short Riding home bike cut out whilst doing 30mph and would not start it made no noise just cut out. Made a funny noise coming from the starter motor/alternator and had no font head light on when I treid to restart.Now it had made this noise before when I used to start it before the battery died but seemed to do it less and less with a new one on. Left it a day and it started. So ive stripped it down oiled he starter and it started and then when I tried again it made the same noise but if you hit the start button quick over and over it starts ?? So im wondering if the cam chain tensioner is knackered or a bent valve will the bike still start ? or was I being just flogged off by the AA ? Also how can I check the cam chain tensoiners as I have checked the manuel but cant seem to find it ?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Cam chain tensoiners

Post by Mori Man »

Certainly sounds like a starter motor fault thats drawing to much current - maybe commutator is making earth from wear, check the brushes - I have repaired in the past using washing machine ones filed to shape and using a hacksaw blade to redifine the pads that they make contact on.

Bent valve, engine will start to a fashion but ruff running - possibly plumes of smoke from can and unstable tickover.

Knackered tensioner , chain - the thing is going to sound like a biscuit tin half full of nails being shook about.

The tensioner is Auto but over time they can become sticky so no harm in resetting them, your concern would be if bike is approacking 30K miles or known to be regularly been thrashed to bits and a terrible noise ! You will find it on right hand side of bike the cover in front of clutch on the lower left side - clutch cable holder is also in same location - do not disturb unless you know what your doing or can follow the workshop manual instructions ! You will do more harm than good.

Tight valves make no noise but cause running problems - when was your last shim check done ?

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
mikeyjp1980

Post by mikeyjp1980 »

Ive owned the bike for almost a year since I passed my test. ive looked in the history and cant see when the valves were last shimmed. Ive got a new starter on order so im hoping to recive it in the next few days so im hoping to fit it at the weekend. the bike never did this untill the battery died just before xmas. I there any way to see if the valves need reshimming ?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

You can do a compression test on the cylinders - this can help determine , load test that you see them do on car engines if you ever go to a tuners.

Best by far is to get in about them and measure the gaps - what mileage has the bike done ? Knowing the gaps are good gives you peace of mind to thrash it :smt003

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

i just had my camchain tensioner and blades changed and MM is right if it sound's like a bat out of hell rattling its a$$ off itll be the chain/tensioner also when you give the throttle a quick flick you should hear the chain grab suddendly and rattle very harsh but remember the clutch is very noisy when you pull off and it bites you should hear that rattle a tad :) hopefully that's helped just getting the ropes myself finding out the bloody hard way- all goes wrong then i learn :D
Ride it like you stole it
mikeyjp1980

Post by mikeyjp1980 »

Well just changed the starter motor over tonight. But the bike still wont turn over you hit the start button and you have a bit of a clanging noise then you hit the start button quick over and over and the bike starts to turn over ????? Hmm bit stuck for ideas now could it be the chain tensioner or is it the alternator ???
kronic2011
My Bike: zxr400h2

Post by kronic2011 »

could this be the starter solonoid?