camchan tensioner

Moderator: Moderators

alanh496
My Bike: zxr 400

camchan tensioner

Post by alanh496 »

Hi, just looking at the valve timing on my 400, and noticed that when I turned the crank backwards, the tension on the rear side caused the tensioning blade to straighten out ie the crank turned back several degrees without any movement of the camshafts. This was caused by the edge having broken off the little spring loaded part (pawl ? as in pawl and rachet)) which should prevent the tensioning plunger moving back having broken off, allowing it to move down and allowing the blade to straighten. Now this part has a sharp edge or tooth that looks like it might do the job if I put the pawl back the other way round ? I'm asking this in case anyone's got experience of this, as to get a new pawl I apparently have to buy the tensioner assy, @ £80. An alternative, since the normal spring pressure takes the plunger almost to the limit of its travel in any case (leaving no automatic take up for chain stretch) would be to use a solid component to keep the blade compressed to where it would normally to be. Any advice appreciated, thanx, Alan
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Re: camchan tensioner

Post by alanh »

What a gay name! :pmsl i'd rather replace that try that, ask in for sale/wanted section im sure there will be plenty people with dead engines willing to split or even a spare lying around
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project