diagnosing/trouble shooting to remove a 'ticking' sound

Moderator: Moderators

spaz
My Bike: ZXR400L2 with K-RASH

diagnosing/trouble shooting to remove a 'ticking' sound

Post by spaz »

Right, I've got an L2 that says it's done 42,000km, but I'm a little sceptical.

I've got this ticking noise, not a rattle or a sound like there's metal flying around inside, but a tick. It goes away at about 3800rpm. Clutch rattle is twice as loud as this. So It's not too obtrusive.

Then at about 5500rpm a new sound appears, much like the sound the camchain makes when you shift gear to early and drop the rev's below 2000rpm, but it's obviously sounds faster (higher rpm) and goes away just below 6000rpm.

I was thinking it was the camchain, but the noise doesn't seem to remind me of metal, as most of the threads says a bung camchain should sound like. Does an old camchain sound like a wedding carrage dragging tin cans or like a normal chain being dragged behind you while walking.

thought it was an exhaust leak around the headers, but after tightening the headers, the noise is still there. (I'm going to remove the whole exhaust system next to look for holes or a damaged seal)

I checked the camchain tensioner when I changed the oil last. It's pretty close to the end of it's range, but then I don't know how far its range is anyway. (is there an easy way of figuring out how much is left in it?)

the rubber carb holders/inlet manifolds need to be replaced. Could it be comming from there?

I'm currently running repsol semi sinthetic 10w40 if it makes any difference.

Does anyone know what it could be?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: diagnosing/trouble shooting to remove a 'ticking' sound

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be a pinhole in the headers? they do tend to go there! check it out, you could always whip the rocker cover off (cam cover to you youngsters) and measure the cam chain for stretch?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
spaz

Post by spaz »

I've just taken the headers off and There's no copper washers between the headers and barrel!!

Are there any substitutes to the OEM washers or do I have to go original?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

for the price of them i would just get originals mate.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

could be a BOMB. check this out at arms length, and if it stops ticking then erm run.
Andy
spaz

Post by spaz »

Northern ANdy wrote:could be a BOMB. check this out at arms length, and if it stops ticking then erm run.
I'm starting to consider that.

Anyway, the heads coming off as I think the tappets need to be adjusted. the copper header washes removed one noise, only to expose another.

On another note, my zxr smokes about 1 minute after starting her cold. It's a head gasket right? Sinse I'm ripping the rocker cover off I'm going to get a new one anyway, but is there another gasket that could be leaking, like the one under the cylinder block/barrels?

Cheers
spaz

Post by spaz »

oh 'shiver me timbers'!
I just loooked at the microfiche and it seems there's a "head-gasket" (Looks like this --> " |OOOO| ") and a "rocker cover gasket" (big oblong sucker). Which is it I'll need to swap if it's the cause of the smoking?

Better yet, how can I be sure it's a gasket leak?

I've thrown gasket sealer around the carbs and rubber carb holders and that seems to have stopped some of the smoking. But it still prevails!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

to check your carb rubbers are leaking, run the bike and while its ticking over spray some carb cleaner around the rubbers, if the revs rise then there is a leak.just cos the bike smokes after starting dont assume the head gasket has gone, could be valve seats dirty?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

yeh, nothing you've said so far would make me suspect the head-gasket or want to rip the head off.

could be a worn cam follower (tappet) once the cam cover is off, check the valve clearances then pull the cams out (having made sure you understand how to time everything back up) and check the tappet/follower surface for wear, if theres a "ridge" "dip" that you can feel its dead and will need to be swapped out for a replacement. its easy enough to do, but the engine needs to come out of the frame to do it.
spaz

Post by spaz »

zimm wrote:yeh, nothing you've said so far would make me suspect the head-gasket or want to rip the head off.

could be a worn cam follower (tappet) once the cam cover is off, check the valve clearances then pull the cams out (having made sure you understand how to time everything back up) and check the tappet/follower surface for wear, if theres a "ridge" "dip" that you can feel its dead and will need to be swapped out for a replacement. its easy enough to do, but the engine needs to come out of the frame to do it.
Cheers mate, I'll have a look through the manual to see about doing that.

By the by, My cam chain is worn out now, so it's probably done 50% more K's than it says it has. So the heads coming off asap.

Cheers all