CCT help needed.

Moderator: Moderators

paula w
My Bike: zxr 400 L1

CCT help needed.

Post by paula w »

I'm having a bit of trouble with my cam chain adjuster I keep reading in other threads about resetting it but they don't sound like my one. I have the old version on my L1 model no springs etc. It has only started playing up since my husband had to replace the o ring and now there is a loud rattle from thecam chain and its slack.

So how do we re set the adjudster please ( don't tell me to look in the manual)
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: please someone help me :(

Post by cargo »

OK I SUSPECT that you have refitted the tensioner without resetting it.................... please note use of the word SUSPECT

IF you have refitted the tensioner without resetting it it is possible that the tensioner is now damaged and will have to be replaced

IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT YOUR CAM CHAIN IS MAKING A NOISE FOR SOME OTHER REASON

If you have the old style tensioner you will see a small 8mm headed bolt on the tensioner body to reset the tensioner you need to remove the tensioner from the engine and remove that little bolt then compress the tensioner and put a small piece of wire into the hole that small bolt came from untill it pushes in enough and lines up with a small hole in the plunger and holds the plunger down against the internal spring....................now you need to refit the tensioner to the bike making sure you replace all parts removed once the tensioner is refitted you can remove the piece of wire and the internal spring will load up on the tensioner blade and tension the chain.

The tensioner works on a ratchet when it is removed the tensioner will go to full extension if it is refitted in this state without resetting it is possible to damage the small teeth of the ratchet or the ratchet pawl and render the tensioner usless.................I SUSPECT this is what you have done.

And all this is explained in the manual...........

Please note is is impossible for me or anyone else to be certain that this is what you've done but from your description it seems likely
paula w

Post by paula w »

Thank youfor answering I'm beginning to think I have the wrong manual lol the one I have that looks the same as the one here for L models. If I need a new one then so be it lol the other problem we have is the bit that goes in first the long thing that obviously keeps the chain tight what way should that be?
But like I say thank you for your help x
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

LOL

So the tensioner body was removed then replaced ?

When the tensioner is removed the plunger advances out as it's on a ratchet system , to reset it you need to undo a lock bolt at the side of the tensioner body, push the rod back in and insert a bit of wire into the hole to lock the spring.

Once back in place you pull out the wire to let the tensioner push rod take up the slack then put in the lock bolt , as the guides/chain wear the push rod auto adjusts on the ratchet.

If it was inserted fully extended then your already on max' tension! If you reset it but didn't allow the pin to reset (putting the lock bolt in) then you've started the engine with no tension on chain and you will need to check your timing to make sure it hasn't jumped teeth !

BTW, this tensioner is explained in the workshop manual as it covers H models with an L model suplement.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%20M ... er%204.pdf

Section 4-9

Tell us what your hubby exactly done once the body was removed and renewewd the O ring ?
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
paula w

Post by paula w »

Have to apologise about the manual lol I didn't look at the H model doh !
My husband took the cover off and unscrewed the tensioner when it came out so did a long rod thing that has one side longer than the other. He didn't know what way to put it back in. So we had a look at the diagram and fitted it the way it showed the long side to the right but he wasn't sure. The timing seemed ok when he had put it all back together it was running greaat no rattle and ticked over ok. It wasn't until he took it out that the rattle started again
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

But did he lock the pin with the bit of wire once resetting it ?

As cargo and the manual says - if installed fully extended you can damage parts - it may be it has now sheared hence it was quite for a while.

Best remove and check then try again - chewing up cam's and valves is no fun - removing a cover and a tensioner body is a lot better :smt002
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
paula w

Post by paula w »

Only found out about the wire and how to reset today :( the way my husband is explaining it is when the pin or the rod thing with one side longer than the other is manually pushed up no rattle and the chain is spot on with tension but when he puts the adjuster in runs ok no rattle until you rev the bike then it comes loose
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

paula w wrote:Only found out about the wire and how to reset today :( the way my husband is explaining it is when the pin or the rod thing with one side longer than the other is manually pushed up no rattle and the chain is spot on with tension but when he puts the adjuster in runs ok no rattle until you rev the bike then it comes loose

Based on that I'd say the tensioner is damaged................toast, fecked, fooked.
paula w

Post by paula w »

Lol well the plan is to attempt to do the wire reset etc if that don't work then I will buy a new one
Thank you both for your help and I will now read the correct manual lol
paula w

Post by paula w »

I think its sorted !!! It was the guard ! Reset the adjuster and looking at the correct manual lol my husband noticed the guard was not in the correct position the bike is now purring as it should yippee
Thank u everyone for your help and patience ( with the blonde dim wit) :)
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Paula - just for future reference you need BOTH manuals as your bike is an L. But the L manual is just a supplement to the H manual. Before doing any work look at the H manual first then cross check with the L supplementary manual second. In some cases there is nothing different on the L so you just go with what it says in the main H manual. But in certain cases you need to amend the instructions in the H manual with the supplementary information in the L one. The exploded diagrams in particular are often different as components changed.

So always use BOTH - in alphabetical order.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
paula w

Post by paula w »

Yep found that out lol but thank you anyway. I was wondering why my manual was crap and no help and no words lol as long as I have words I can fix it lol