Dimensions?

Moderator: Moderators

worthidlj

Dimensions?

Post by worthidlj »

Good afternoon,

I will be up straight with you now and say it; I am NOT a motorbike owner.
However, I am not here to cause any trouble, just looking for some information
on certain engine dimensions.
I have an interest in old Austin Sevens and the 'Special' derivatives people have created.
Taking inspiration from the twin cam swap using a BMW K100 head on an BMC A-Series
engine block, I wondered would it be possible to do the same to an Austin Seven engine?
Research so far has determined that the Kawasaki ZXR400 as a potential suitor.
However the things I need to determine to see whether it would be possible would be
the following dimensions:

1) The distance between the two centres of the camshafts of the ZXR400 cylinder head?
2) How far they are from the centre of the cylinder bore of the ZXR400 engine?
3) How high the centre of the camshafts are from the bottom face of the cylinder head?
4) And finally, what are the cylinder bore spacings of the engine (i.e. what is the distance
between the centre of bore of cylinder 1 and cylinder 2, and so on)?

I greatly appreciate any help people can provide and if the admin deem me innapropiate
for the questions I ask and reasons for being here then I will accept deletion of my
account and any future post.
Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
David
worthidlj

Re: Dimensions?

Post by worthidlj »

OK, maybe that was a bit too deep.
Is there anyway someone could post a picture of a heagasket with a tape measure running along the bottom to get an idea of dimensions.
Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
David
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

I think it's just that most owners don't have that information. You're wanting detailed measurements. We just ride 'em and mend 'em. One of the guys in the racing section might be able to help as they are the ones most likely to have engines in bits who could take the measurements you want. It's not like most people have head gaskets kicking around to be able to photograph for you.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
worthidlj

Post by worthidlj »

Tirpitz wrote:I think it's just that most owners don't have that information. You're wanting detailed measurements. We just ride 'em and mend 'em. One of the guys in the racing section might be able to help as they are the ones most likely to have engines in bits who could take the measurements you want. It's not like most people have head gaskets kicking around to be able to photograph for you.
Thats fair emough; admittedly this is more of a speculative query anyway as what my idea is for is a few years down the line anyway.
Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
David