one of those hard to answer Questions...

Moderator: Moderators

Captiansoup
My Bike: h2

one of those hard to answer Questions...

Post by Captiansoup »

i have a 1990 model...(H2? bike shop in nz calls it J2??). bike is MINT, i love it to bits, goes great.
HOWEVER! there is this noise..lol i know how stupid this sounds but its been bugging me. iv had a few people that really know what their talking about( one is a race mechanic and coach with lots of eperience with 400s) listen to it. i even had it dynod, 56hp !!!! :smt003 :smt003 with a perfectly smooth curve. ANYWAY all these people have told me to ignore the noise and just ride it. which i have been but it still bugs me..

THE NOISE...its a low pitched grinding noise that becomes noticeable at 6000rpm and increases in pitch with the revs until the stupidly loud exhaust drowns it out... i want to say that the noise has goten worse in the 4/5 months iv owned it but that could be me paying more and more attention to it..it sounds like its coming from the engine rather than the box but i could be wrong..

so my vague question is, any one out there notice grinding noises while riding? anyone out there who works on them have any knowledge on such a phenomenon?
any advice and shite giving welcome.
jonesyiom
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: one of those hard to answer Questions...

Post by jonesyiom »

Agreed, hard to answer indeed.
Few q's that may assist some of the more knowledgeable types.

Grinding noise or squeal - grinding noises don't tend to increase in pitch - they may do down under though
Left or right hand side of the engine
Top or bottom of the engine
Is the bike overheating at all
Have you changed the oil and checked it for deposits

I'd struggle to answer your Q and I'd say I've never come across such a noise.

Am sure one of the scholars will asssit.
Jonesy
Captiansoup
My Bike: h2

Re: one of those hard to answer Questions...

Post by Captiansoup »

i guess you could say its a squeal.. to better describe the noise, it sounds like two metal objects rubbing.. crap.. theres lots of that in an engine. :smt017
its hard to say where its coming from, oil changes havent revealed anything peculiar..
bike doesnt overheat

My guesses are, a bearing thats on its way out.. or tired cams?