Just joined bit of advice would be appreciated

Moderator: Moderators

stephenglasgowzxr400
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2 1990

Just joined bit of advice would be appreciated

Post by stephenglasgowzxr400 »

Hi Just new to the website and owning a ZXR 400 H2 1990. The engine is goosed. need to take it out as it has had a restricter on it and has blown a lovely hole in the bottom of the engine. Got my manual from this website (legends) but is there any further advice on taking the engine out?

Many thanks

Stephen
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Just joined bit of advice would be appreciated

Post by cargo »

Disconnect and remove ALL the ancillaries from the engine.....................double check.................that everything is off and out of the way

What you should now be left with is an engine with 4 bolts holding it in place............given that yours is an H you may have already removed the front engine bolts when taking the rad off..............dont matter if you have

Slacken the 4 engine bolts
remove the two front engine bolts if they are still there..............the engine is now hanging on the two rear bolts.

Now you need a friend or some means or supporting the engine..................(I use a home made thing that I made from an old carjack)

Remove the lower rear engine mounting ...............now with your friend or supporting deivce hold the weight of the engine so that the weight is lifted off the final bolt and remove it....................the engine may still be stuck or jammed inplace but because you double checked everything was removed it should with a bit of wriggling drop out................it can snag on the front engine mounts..................but down and out it should come

Easy really..................I can do it in less than an hour on my own.................and have afresh one back and in and running in another two

If it helps...................ANY ZXR model engine will fit as a replacment.................you might just find that repairing yours is........expensive.

I very much doubt if the restristor either the Kawasaki one or anftermarket 33bhp one was responsible for blowing a hole in the bottom of you engine..sounds to me more like a big end let go..........................bang

Go do a proper introduction......................please.
We are a happy friendly website forum................and we are the best and only ZXR400 forum. You will find that this forum is a fantastic resource........................ oldman but please say hello properly
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

I might be doing this myself soon.
Where can i buy some .......... from cargo? I can find them on ebay.

:pmsl
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

CaNsA wrote:I might be doing this myself soon.
Where can i buy some .......... from cargo? I can find them on ebay.

:pmsl

what do you want to buy ?

confused I am

hijack offtopic

:rant

Did you see what DaveW did to me...........................£30 for a £440 oil cooler !!!!!!!............... :ffs how is a man to make a few quid
stephenglasgowzxr400
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2 1990

Post by stephenglasgowzxr400 »

Thanks to cargo for your help. Have introduced myself now and never new had to do that. thanks again :smt001
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

cargo wrote:
CaNsA wrote:I might be doing this myself soon.
Where can i buy some .......... from cargo? I can find them on ebay. :pmsl
what do you want to buy ?
confused I am
dots mate, DOTS!
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::