runnin ruff!!!

Moderator: Moderators

kronic2011
My Bike: zxr400h2

runnin ruff!!!

Post by kronic2011 »

well lads!bought a zxr400h2 a few weeks back!have done a few little things to try make her run a lil better but not really getting to far!gna put up a list and see if i can get a bit of help!

*when i start i have to let the bike warm for a good 10 mins or when i go to pull off bike just goes flat and seems like no fuel reaching engine and will cut out!also once or twice when i have got to this stage the bike will cut out,crank over and fuel spills out of over flow on carbs!have stripped carbs cleaned and checked all internals!everything seems fine!

*right once i have gotten over this stage and have the bike running and at good temp away i go,bike is v.sluggish upto say 4k rpm then a little boost to say 8k then pretty flat again,ive heard 10k to 12k rpm are the most fun stages of rpm but no,gets up there but takes its time!iv noticed maybe in first gear i can sometimes get the boost people are talking about but then it goes!!

* there is a rattling from the bottom left side of the engine so pulsar cover will be off in the next few days for cam chain and tensioner replacement and shims out and checked!..

really would appreciate any feed back on this and hopefully i will be able to give some of my knowledge in return for some of yours!! cheers lads!!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: runnin ruff!!!

Post by CaNsA »

Okies,

Checklist.

Fuel Filter - is it full of crap?
Fuel tap - does it work correctly?
Carbs - have you pissed about with them?
Oil - Is there enough, when was the last change done?
Below 4k - always a bit gutless
Above 8k - what gear are you in, how fast are you going?
Carbs flooding - sounds like they could do with a clean
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
kronic2011

Post by kronic2011 »

cheers for the quick reply!!

ok!
f/f changed,
petcock is leaking a little but not enough to affect running,never drips only the odd time i can notice a little wetness around it
full service done including oil and o/f,added exactly 3 litres according to manual when o/f changed.
air filter and plugs also changed!
above 8k im not to sure ill have to take her out nd check that up!
the carbs seem ok and all passages and internals cleaned with carb cleaner!jets taken out and left to seep in c/c over night!not damaged and clear of crud!!
also its a bit** to get to idle!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Has anyone pissed about with the carbs?

Have a look >> http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/lmodel.html

And try setting the carbs back to standard, be careful, dont force the screw otherwise you will be screwed.
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

kronic2011

Post by kronic2011 »

have done all of this and set the pilot screws back to 2 1/4 turns out!maybe the need to be balanced!im just hoping there isnt a bent valve hiding in there!!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Yeah balance the carbs, its always a good idea......

kronic2011

Post by kronic2011 »

as they say!small things first!will get them balanced up see how she is!then its new chain nd shims!im a car mechanic so am fairly confident!this is the first bike iv went ta work on so taught id ask around first!if im doing the cam chain,tensioner and shims its a hell of a lot handier to drop the block out??
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

It is easier, with everything out, but it can be done in the frame, its just fiddly.

Most stuff will be stripped off the motor to do that with it in the frame, so its not much more effort to drop the engine apart from draining the coolant, rest is just disconnecting electrical connectors, exhaust and then the the mounting bolts. Dont think there is much more to it.

Have you checked the inlet rubbers for leaks? and also the airbox mounting?

Bottom left is not the pulsar cover, unless you mean bottom right? Bottom left is the generator.
kronic2011

Post by kronic2011 »

ha sorry i meant the bottom right!looks like things could be a bit worse!took her out the other day sounded ok for a while then could hear the chain clicking!shut er off nd went to start back up .got it going and now it sound as if a valve has kissed the piston!burbling on rev up while in gear but smooth rev while in neutral!