head gasket

Moderator: Moderators

courty

head gasket

Post by courty »

my zxr has been off the road for a year so had the carbs cleaned and the brakes sorted and started using it to go to work i have noticed that the oil level viewing glass has all gone white and when i took off the oil cap there was lots of white foam on it is this allmost certainly head gasket failure the bike seems to be running not to bad cheers courty
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

if its been stood soo long and especially in this weather it is more than likely damp and condensation causing the mayonnaise get it warm and then have a look it should disappear, if you check under the rad cap there will be fine bubbles if your head gasket has gone, you will also notice poor running and overheating.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.

Post by Guest »

i have checked under the rad cap and there is not any bubbles the water level still looks high but the white foam is not dissapearing
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

is it stuck to the eye glass? you might need to do an oil change then use engine flush before you change the oil.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

White oil usually means theres water getting in it yeah, but if the coolant level if fine then it must be damp getting in there. Change the oil and see how it goes, thats far cheaper than doing the gasket to find out that wasnt the problem.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

i have had to replace my head gasket twice, ffs lol, but the white oil can disapear quickly enough. its open wallet surgery time if its fooked. then again, doing it yourself is easy . :smt002
Quicker Than Yngwie

Bikerz
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bikerz »

mates does this just rag in sensless for 30 min and it goes mate
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1