Cylinder Head

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Cylinder Head

Post by R P Corse »

got the engine out of the frame over christmas, was going to strip it down to clean up properly (currently pricing up bits and pieces that need replacing - shims, piston rings etc...

i'm planing on cleaning up the ports on the cylinder head, some light porting, nothing massive, is it worth skimming the head too while i'm at it? and also when do the valves need re-seating?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Cylinder Head

Post by banner001 »

the valves need lapping if they leak when you run solvent into the air intake/exhaust ports, then need re-seating if the lapping doesnt work, or if there is damage to the valve seat.

as for a head skim, if the head is flat it wont need it, you can do it to raise compression slightly.

as for "self-porting", unless you are going to get it gas-flowed before/after, my impression was that with modern heads you could do a lot more wrong than right, as they are pretty much at max already, but if you are altering everything else, you might be able to boost the gas flow/mixture by altering the head profile, this sometimes means adding material back onto the head. also remember that incorrect/too much polishing can increase drag as you increase the boundary separation layer, creating turbulence and harming power delivery.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

wicked advice cheers mate

i ported my RS125 when i had it and never had a problem with it, i spose being that theres more cylinders, more can go wrong etc...
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Know this is a bit of an old thread but do you know what the maximum you can skim a head to? I've had a head gasket blow and the engineering company is being an butt