Engine casing smashed!!

Moderator: Moderators

Fazal.h786
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Engine casing smashed!!

Post by Fazal.h786 »

Hey guys,

Alright had an accident on my zxr 400 where I was hit by a car and went down on my left side. All the engine oil leaked out pretty much instantly and it's been sat around in my garage for three months over the winter! I want to get it back up and running and the main problem seems to be the bottom end of engine casing has pretty much shattered, the small round black thing that covers the left side of the engine! Does anyone have any idea what the parts called and if it's as simple as taking the bolts out and changing it? I'd be great full for any advice! Thnx :)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Engine casing smashed!!

Post by banner001 »

a picture would help, i assume you mean the generator cover...easy to replace. buy another casing, buy a generator gasket and some instant gasket and you will be good to go.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Just grab a used genny cover from BikeBunker memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7531
Get a new gasket from Cradley Kawasaki.
Get some new oil and a filter from Opie Oils (we get discount there)

Jobs a goodun.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

exact same thing happened me, couldnt get a gene cover on its own in ireland, so got a good deal on a full race engine.

swapped it over and sounds tight, think i might just need to whip the gene cover back off and check the starter cogs.

took a look at my old engine and theres 2 hairline cracks behind the gene cover, right where the gasket would sit, so check ur engine for small cracks there..

anyone ever welded a place like that?