cam chain guide exhaust side

Moderator: Moderators

steele01
My Bike: rd 350 lc, gixer 750l1

cam chain guide exhaust side

Post by steele01 »

Hi everyone,

just had a nosey at my cousins 400 inside the inspection cover was a half moon bit of metal snapped of the cam chain guide above the tensioner,

noticed going through the receipts when we got it that it had both of them replaced at 5k now on about 11k and the one nearest the exhaust has gone,

taking it its a barrel/ head of job,

what I was wondering is what causes them to go on the kwacks, poor design? low quality metal, or bad riding and abuse really enjoying learning about yet another bike :)

also how long do you tend to get out of them when they are replaced

Thanks,

Tom
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: cam chain guide exhaust side

Post by ross46 »

Half moon shape bit of metal is normally of the inlet side where the tensioner pushes the guide, yes it is a head off job, unless you drop the engine then you should be able to do it just by taking the rocker cover off, regards, ross
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Did it look like this?

Found this in mine. Chain and guides being replaced next week so will see if it came off the guide.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

yup, thats a broken tensioner blade...whilst your at it you should also check the camchain tensioner to make sure the ratchet mechanism's not broken, and check the tension of the camchain as well.

randal has done a good sticky thread about changing the camchain in one piece, and also about how to align your camshafts back properly afterwards...remember, 31 pins between camchaft timing marks.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Yeah, here's the thread banner is talking about
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=13874
I managed to change my cam chain using this method, getting the old one out was more of a pain tbh, banner, did you do yours in the end?