Refitting Cam Chain Tentioner... URGENT- HELP

Moderator: Moderators

JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Refitting Cam Chain Tentioner... URGENT- HELP

Post by JamieNeve »

I need to refit my cam chain tentioner, and do not know how I can do so....

When I hold the spring down and push down the tension barrel, it springs up as it is meant to. But I cannot fit it into the socket with it fully extended.

How can I keep the tensioner compressed whilst I refit it?

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Refitting Cam Chain Tentioner... URGENT- HELP

Post by banner001 »

remove the tensioner barell, and the screw with the 2 springs inside each other.
reset the tensioner bolt by pressing the outside bottom part of the one-way ratchet and push the tensioner bolt down all the way - tensioner is now reset to the lowest possible position.

refit the tensioner body and the clutch cable holder.

now - and this part is tricky - you need to apply quite a bit of force to push the screw+springs into the tensioner body, whilst rotating the screw at the same time, one it has caught the thread its much easier, but the first bit is a giraffe!

screw the screw in all the way and turn the engine over by hand a few times to take out some initial slack in the chain. when you first fire the bike up you might hear that some more slack has been taken out of the chain - this is perfectly normal.

the bike is now fit to ride again, as long as your timing is correct, and i hope you checked your valve clearances at the same time.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Re: Refitting Cam Chain Tentioner... URGENT- HELP

Post by JamieNeve »

Thank you so much for the quick and detailed response! Really helped

If you know anything about re-inserting the clutch rod, if you could check out my most recent post, I need urgent help!