Noticed a rattle and oil looks watery

Moderator: Moderators

spudboy6
My Bike: zxr400 L-9

Noticed a rattle and oil looks watery

Post by spudboy6 »

Was out on the zxr yesterday and after about 15miles I noticed on low revs a rattle almost a tick so my instant thought it chain pull clutch in and revved it and it adjusts with the revs

So must be timing chains

I thought id check my oil level and through the sight glass it looks brown and almost like wet mud , I only changed the oil 200 miles ago with castrol racing 10w/40

Going to drain the oil to check to see weather the sight glass is making it look funny

Anyone suggest anything oil can't break down after 200miles !

I did have overheating issues but all sorted now with a thermostat and rad cap but is the damage already done

I'm thinking hg has gone and chains damage by contaminated oil ?

Will drain te oil to inspect anyways another thing does the engine need to be removed the swap the chain ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Noticed a rattle and oil looks watery

Post by banner001 »

your oil is looking brown as it has mixed with residual old oil, nothing wrong with that, if the head gasket had gone it would be a creamy while colour.

what oil was in there before? full synthetic oil has caused a number of people problems in the past with these older bikes.

how many miles has the bike done, and has the timing chain been changed before? there are guides on here about what to look for, it might be the chain, it might be the chain guide.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
spudboy6
My Bike: zxr400 L-9

Re: Noticed a rattle and oil looks watery

Post by spudboy6 »

Not had the bike long so can't say what oil was in it , I drained it earlier to check and oil is fine just looked weird in the sight glass

No creamy appearances so hopefully okay and had a leak tester on it which sniffs for computation Valois and that came back okay

Rode it tonight and no rattle so hopefully all in my head

But putting it away for winter soon so will have a strip down and renew all the chains and hg