zxr 400 cross threaded my spark plug

Moderator: Moderators

zxr400crazy
My Bike: zxr 400 1996

zxr 400 cross threaded my spark plug

Post by zxr400crazy »

hi I have not long brought my zxr and I wanted to change the spark plugs 3 went in fine the last one cross threaded I kept trying and trying with just my fingers to get it in right but it wouldn't go in so in the end I get fed up and just put it in I managed to get it in all the way though, will this affect anything? :/

thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: zxr 400 cross threaded my spark plug

Post by RedexRobB »

Well that depends how much you have cross threaded.

If you done it proper, the next time you take the plug out you probably wont have any thread left to screw it back in.

Over tighten it, and you definately wont have anything left to screw on to.

So yes, it will affect something, probably not now, but maybe in the future.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

:excited at last someone actually helps well done Rob proud of you :smt023

I couldn't even begin to help I've absolutely no experience of this kind of problem :smt120
zxr400crazy

Post by zxr400crazy »

ok mate nice one well I put it all way in apart from about 2ml of it so might have to go and get it sorted by a garage they can put a new thread init cant they ? thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Youll have to ask the garage that. But there are a few options.

Re welding and tapping, a helicoil which nay not be suitable or an entire new head......
gary2711

Post by gary2711 »

A time sert thread will fix the problem permanently. It taps the thread hole bigger using the original thread as a guide to get it central ( using a step tap ). The solid thread insert then screws in and locks into place. This then gives you back the original thread size. In an ideal world it is done with the cylinder head on the bench , but I always offer the customer both options. I have repaired a thread with the cylinder head and engine still all together , being careful with the valves and cleaning out any debris. It worked perfectly fine, but there is a risk of swarf in the combustion chamber no matter how careful you are.
Expect to pay 1-2 hours labour and the cost of the time sert.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

gary2711 wrote:A time sert thread will fix the problem permanently. It taps the thread hole bigger using the original thread as a guide to get it central ( using a step tap ). The solid thread insert then screws in and locks into place. This then gives you back the original thread size. In an ideal world it is done with the cylinder head on the bench , but I always offer the customer both options. I have repaired a thread with the cylinder head and engine still all together , being careful with the valves and cleaning out any debris. It worked perfectly fine, but there is a risk of swarf in the combustion chamber no matter how careful you are.
Expect to pay 1-2 hours labour and the cost of the time sert.

goodpost
zxr400crazy

Post by zxr400crazy »

cheers for the help mate what if I just leave it lol? ive been out onit a couple times since and its running fine :/ but I will need to sort it in the future though

cheers for your help
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

If you leave you will be opening yourself up to a host of other problems. E.g. Running lean and holing a cylinder, just get it sorted and avoid any further and more expensive damage
zxr400crazy

Post by zxr400crazy »

ok mate cheers