Cam tensioner release

Moderator: Moderators

rmkd177

Re: Cam tensioner release

Post by rmkd177 »

banner001 wrote:
matthew wrote:Is it ok to replase the old style tensioner with the new one with the 12mm nut at the bottom ?
as long as the mounting points are the same distance, and as long as the tensioner protrudes intothe engine case a similar distance then its fine.

im 99% sure that people have swaped the tensioners before...my 2 bikes both have the newer style.
This is totaly wrong....the new style tensioner has a much stronger spring than old type. The newer (12mm captive nut type) is designed to work with the new type (double thickness almost) slipper/tensioner/guide. The newer type, if miss matched to the old slipper blade can cause it to buckle and break and on some occasions pop the top eye. As the older type tesioner does not have enough pressure to adequatly tension the chain with the new slipper guide.. Look on the Cradley microfiche and see if any of the models used the 'miss match' ...i dont think you will find they do....newer tensioner = newer slipper guide.......older tensioner = older slipper guide.
R.Middleton
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

My mistake rodger. For reference if you DID want to change to the newer style tensioner would you be able to fit the newer style blade? Or will it not locate in the top of the head properly?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

So im in with second shout? Niiiiiice! :smt003 and I think Jesus would have a custom motogp bike that can do mach 2 on the back wheel
tink
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by tink »

I've managed to get my tensioner to set again using a pin through the hole so thanks guys and banner I won't be needing yours but thanks for the offer