engine identification

Moderator: Moderators

copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

engine identification

Post by copeyhagen »

as above, have my l3 engine out of the bike while i sort it out, have another engine and an l2 donor bike for that engine, but im not sure if its an l or an h engine, came from a track bike..

both are very dirty, i will be cleaning them both down, but where do i find the engine number stamped?

and is there any external differences between the L and H engines...

cheers.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: engine identification

Post by cargo »

Engine number is at the front right (as you sit on the bike) .............it a small flat area on the crankcase below the barrel.

H and L look the same and are the same................you might need to swap pick up rotors
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

unless its been modified for the kit radiator, the H model engine coolant output points towards the left side of the engine, so its on the same side as the coolant in pipe from the water pump, on the L model the coolant comes in on the left side and exits towards the radiator on the right.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

And you can very carefully remove the two M6 screws with 8 mm hex heads remove the outlet turn it 180 degrees and refit it. Put the M6 screws with 8 mm hex heads back in and re tighten to the correct torque as provided in the extensive and freely available manual found elsewhere on this wonderful website
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

cheers lads, yes i spent a nice hour in work eysterday printing off the manuals.. if only we had a binder!