cam timing

Moderator: Moderators

richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

cam timing

Post by richie400ss »

ive been let down by a tuner who has fitted slotted cam sprockets to my standard 400L cams but doesn't appear to know how to set them up!

Anyone know what they should be set at and how to do it?

obviously, i know how to adjust them, but not what i should be measuring and what that measurement should be.

further info. compression raised to 14:1, head flowed and valve seats optimised. standard pistons with new rings.

any help greatly appreciated.

note. i've not given him a penny and won't until it makes 70bhp.

so there!
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Could try Lawerence but i dont think theres a answer without the engine every one rings him on how to tune there engine like mine and a few have rung and asked how to set up the cam timing but without seeing the clearences for his self you will never know

If some one posted a set up for cam timing would you trust there answer i know i wouldnt every tuner would do a engine different doesnt the cam timing need to be spot on or valve might hit piston

Why would you want to use standard cams why not buy some that are better so you get higher lifts etc not that i know any thing about engines

You can only but try

Hodson Engineering 01732 463658
http://www.hodsonengineering.co.uk

Or ring Dynotech

Good luck mate
richie400ss

Post by richie400ss »

absolutely right, i wouldn't trust anyone's tolerances! I'm really after being pointed in th eright direction of a reliable source. possibly the workshop manual but i can't find anything in there.

i don't want to use higher lift cams as I don't really need any more power as I'm not that quick anyway! I really prefer to keep a wide spread of power. my current engine makes 65 (pessimistic dyno) but is above 60 from 10 to 14k! higher lift r duration cams tend to push power into a narrower band higher up the rev range which I'd like to avoid to keep ridability and longevity.

I hope to keep a similar spread with maybe a little more peak in the new engine.

I would have quite happily kept using the old one, but the bores are slack and valves and seats very tired.

thanks