Correct timing apologies in advance

Moderator: Moderators

akuakabucy
My Bike: 1992 ZXR400

Correct timing apologies in advance

Post by akuakabucy »

Sorry for this post but it is mainly for peace of mind. I have read read and reread numerous posts re timing yet I would just like clarification from you lovely people!

My headgasket went on my 1991 ZXR400, so I stripped down the engine, found where the gasket had gone replaced it now im timing it back up. I have read the manual, read various posts on the internet and took numerous photos during the strip down. My timing seems to be 180 degrees out looking at my pictures I have taken. When the crank is timed up properly it seems my cams where timed with the marks on the inside rather than outside. Now unless I have majorly f'd up here is this correct? Just in the manual it states they should be facing outwards and also several posts on here state outwards. I have also seen posts online stating it doesnt make a difference but am not convinced.

I havent rebuilt the engine fully yet as awaiting clarification as to avoid serious engine damage so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been ocvered a million time previous.

Regards,
Gary
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Correct timing apologies in advance

Post by Miles »

Might be the wrong way here but remember that the timing disk has to turn 720' for piston 1 to return to its original position , including valve postion

When the timing disk spins 360 the cams should point at each other

Hope that helps or I may have got the wrong end of the stick
Last edited by Miles on Thu May 08, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

so you have checked here:-
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=13871

and if i understand you correctly, when you position the T mark as indicated at the top of the post so that the F mark is near it your cam marks are pointing inwards?

if yes, what you need to do is spin the crank 360 degrees.

i suggest also measuring your valve clearances after you get the timing sorted, and the chain re-tensioned.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
akuakabucy

Post by akuakabucy »

Banner. Thanks a lot. That's correct I just wanted clarification. I will get pics and post them up as soon as I get a chance. But yes the crank is lined up with the T and the F above it. Would the bike run like this out of interest? I'm pretty convinced that they where like this when I took them off although I was working on it until 2am so could be wrong.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

as you spin the crank through 360 degrees (i.e. T/F to T/F mark) you rotate each camshaft 180 degrees (i.e. marks outward to marks inward)...so just rotate the crank a full revolution and they will be lined up as in the manual.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
akuakabucy

Post by akuakabucy »

Cheers bud you where correct it's all rebuilt and ready to drop in the bike. All your help is appreciated.