camchain tensioner question

Moderator: Moderators

Mikey427
My Bike: zxr 400

camchain tensioner question

Post by Mikey427 »

I was about to order a new tensioner, when i noticed there are 2 types. I assume the later model is an improved version and it is the one to get. Is that correct and will it fit my L1? What are the differences between the two? Also I should probbaly get the second rod that links the tensioner and the guide. Or shouldnt i?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: camchain tensioner question

Post by cargo »

There are indeed two types of tensioner and there are two types of tensioner blade.

They need to be correctly matched.
Mikey427
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Mikey427 »

Just checked the prices and the second gen tensioner costs about 82 pounds. The first gen is some 31 pounds. What is the difference between the two since the price is so high? Anyway, even ifi match the blade and the tensioner assy, will it fit the l1 with an l1 chain guide?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

All tensioners fit all models and all tensioner blades fit all models. However you need to have a " 2nd generation" tensioner matched with a second generation blade. Or a first generation tensioner matched with a first generation blade.
The front guide is the same in all models to the best of my very limited knowledge.