0.5mm shim when refitting engine

Moderator: Moderators

woots

0.5mm shim when refitting engine

Post by woots »

Hi guys,

On the workshop manuals it shows a 0.5mm shim being used between the engine and frame at the rear when refitting an engine. I didn't have this shim, do you need it :smt017 ?

Cheers all,

John
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hmm, i just looked at that and im absolutely sure i didnt have it when i put mine back in :smt017

No idea what its for either, but it must be there for a reason. Having said that mine isnt there and theres nothing funny with it so i guess its fine without it.
richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by richie400ss »

i put one in when i put my engine bacl in last year. couldn't tell the difference.

powder coated the frame this year, and it won't fit now. again, i can't tell the difference.

what's it for? to keep the shim fitters employed.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i lost mine when i rebuilt my bike, didn't bother putting one in.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
woots

Post by woots »

Lol, cheers guys as long as the engine doesn't fall out I'll leave it as is then. I do seem to get a lot of vibes through the right hand peg but has been so long since I ran the bike I'm not sure it wasn't always like this.

John
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Should be fine mate, i dont get any vibes, but then ive had mine powder coated so probably no need for it. You'll also probably find that any gap closes up when torque everything up.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

if your engines 0.5mm out of alignment and its a problem all i can say is them japs must be fantastic engineers to get it that critical.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
woots

Post by woots »

True, can't see all zxr400 frames being within 0.5mm of each other once the welds have cooled down etc.

Going to get it booked in for an MOT next Wednesday hopefully, the sun is out :smt001 .

John