rear cam chain guide removal

Moderator: Moderators

feisty92
My Bike: zxr400

rear cam chain guide removal

Post by feisty92 »

Hey guys
Im in the middle of doing the valve shim adjustment and figured i better change the cam chain and guides as the tensioner had almost run out of travel.
Ive got the cam shafts, cam chain out etc but is it possible to remove the rear chain guide without dropping the engine?
Just had a good look at it and that bolt/pin that holds the guide in is very much obscured by the frame.
Any help with this would be awesome

Cheers
Jonathan
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: rear cam chain guide removal

Post by banner001 »

it is possible to tilt the engine in the frame by removing all the bolts other than the very lowest engine bolt (where the side stand is), this allows the engine to then move forwards.

note that you will need to make sure that everything attached to the engine by hoses/wires etc has been removed, this includes gear linkages and downpipes, so its best to double check it all and then tilt the engine slowly to avoid damaging anything important.

you can then get to the bolt that holds the guide, the tightening tension afterwards is 25Nm for L models.

its not a difficult one man operation, ive done it before when i had to remove the long pin that holds all the intake rockers.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
feisty92
My Bike: zxr400

Re: rear cam chain guide removal

Post by feisty92 »

Thanks for that I had a feeling that might be the case. Its a shame they didnt move it down 20mm would have made life much easier