Help! Lower Engine Mounting Bolt

Moderator: Moderators

jons
My Bike: ZXR400

Help! Lower Engine Mounting Bolt

Post by jons »

Hello all,

I've searched and can't find anything - so hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to remove an L9 engine, and all was going fine until I got to the lower mounting bolt. The nut came off easily, but I can't shift the bolt. Am I missing something obvious? I've a tried long ratchet handle with all my weight on it (= bent ratchet), spanner with persuasion from a large hammer, tapping it through from the other side, other mounts tight, other mounts removed, all engine weight on the frame, all engine weight supported and combinations of all these - but it won't shift.

I've run out of ideas now - so please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Help! Lower Engine Mounting Bolt

Post by CaNsA »

Any circlips in place?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

L9 is the same mounting as the other L models, its just a nut on the end of a long bolt.

Once the nut is off the bolt should be able to be turned with a ratchet/extension bar etc. can you do this? or is this how you bent the first one?

sounds like the bolt may be bent, has the bike been in an accident, any damage to the frame etc? it should just tap out from the other side. even if the full weight of the engine is pressing on it it should still tap out without any problems.

Does it look excessivly rusty, or has the bike done tens of thousands of UK winter riding?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jons

Post by jons »

banner001 wrote:L9 is the same mounting as the other L models, its just a nut on the end of a long bolt.

Once the nut is off the bolt should be able to be turned with a ratchet/extension bar etc. can you do this? or is this how you bent the first one?

sounds like the bolt may be bent, has the bike been in an accident, any damage to the frame etc? it should just tap out from the other side. even if the full weight of the engine is pressing on it it should still tap out without any problems.

Does it look excessivly rusty, or has the bike done tens of thousands of UK winter riding?
That's what I thought - must be bent or seized from years of road salt. It looks ok though, no obvious rust or corrosion. I think this frame's straight, it's my other one that isn't and the bolt moves OK on that one! I'll apply some penetrating oil then find a bigger hammer...
CaNsA wrote:Any circlips in place?
I replied to this yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared (or I hit the wrong button)... anyway I think banner001 has answered the circlip question
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

The bolt sits just in front of the rear wheel, so as you surmise, years of being soaked by rain and salt have resulted in a chemical action between the bolt and the alloy crankcase. There is an open section on the crankcase allowing this to happen. Penetrating oil will not penetrate sufficiently to release it. I had a similar situation. I tried cutting the head off the bolt and then using the nut on the other end to pull the bolt through, without success - it wasn't budging. So I cut through the bolt in the open section by drilling through it (there is insufficient room to use a hacksaw) and used the nut to pull out the threaded end. Then, with all engine bolts out I levered the free side forward to permit the remainder of the bolt to slide out of its support flange. The remainder of the bolt was then drilled out, although it was very tricky starting in the middle and drilling square. It might sound a little drastic, but it worked.
jons

Post by jons »

Ewetea wrote:The bolt sits just in front of the rear wheel, so as you surmise, years of being soaked by rain and salt have resulted in a chemical action between the bolt and the alloy crankcase. There is an open section on the crankcase allowing this to happen. Penetrating oil will not penetrate sufficiently to release it. I had a similar situation. I tried cutting the head off the bolt and then using the nut on the other end to pull the bolt through, without success - it wasn't budging. So I cut through the bolt in the open section by drilling through it (there is insufficient room to use a hacksaw) and used the nut to pull out the threaded end. Then, with all engine bolts out I levered the free side forward to permit the remainder of the bolt to slide out of its support flange. The remainder of the bolt was then drilled out, although it was very tricky starting in the middle and drilling square. It might sound a little drastic, but it worked.
Sounds like you have more skill with a drill than I have, I can't see how to get enough access to the middle section of the bolt to drill/cut it. After several hours of swearing at it, right now I quit! Anyone want 2 L9s for a winter project?
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

Put a couple of axle stands under the lower "beam" of the engine to support the bike, and then remove the rear wheel and swinging arm to permit plenty of room to access the bolt. Centre punch the bolt very near the end with the head, and use progressively larger drills to "cut" the bolt. Then use a nut and washer on the threaded end to pull that section of the bolt out. Once it starts moving it can be grabbed with pliers and wriggled out. When I did the job I suspended the back of the bike from a roof strut in the garage. Since the axle stands will be close together, there is the possibility that the bike could fall over if nudged, so take appropriate precautions.
Since the bolt is seized, there is also a possibility that the swinging arm bolt is also seized!!!!! You'll be able to unfasten the nut, but the bolt will just turn and not slide out, even with persuasion from a hammer and copper drift. I encountered that problem too, and had to tackle it in the same way as the bolt: drill the head off and then use the threaded section to pull it out.
Don't give up! Life is full of problems, but walking away doesn't solve them. While you have the wheel and swinging arm out you can check the bearings in both, and also the linkage between the swinging arm and the frame - it's likely that the one of the needle roller bearings will be shot. This is all part of the winter rebuild in preparation for summer riding.
jons

Post by jons »

I was thinking of just rebuilding the topend, I think I should be able to do it in the frame. But you're right, I'll need to strip the rear end anyway so I may as well do it now. I have an Abba stand that will make it a bit easier. Also wondering if I'll be able to attack the bolt with the dremmel once the swingarm etc are out of the way. It's drilling out the last bit once the engine's out that I'm more concerned about, but what's the worst that can happen!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

Well done! If you can remove the upper rear engine bolt, and the two at the front, you should be able to swing the engine a little way out of the frame, pivoting on that wretched lower rear bolt. This will gave you more room for the top end rebuild.
Happy Christmas!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Just take the bolt out and drop the lot.
jons

Post by jons »

RedexRobB wrote:Just take the bolt out and drop the lot.
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for your input.