Front cam chain guide

Moderator: Moderators

neston
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 racer

Front cam chain guide

Post by neston »

Hello,
I may be asking the obvious , but, just what stops the front cam chain guide from moving about when the engine is running ?
I have located it at the bottom , but there appears to be nothing from stopping it moving up and down ,apart from the close fit of the cam chain as it runs in a downward direction.
I hope that makes sense !!

Thanks for all your help,from Neston.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Front cam chain guide

Post by JamieNeve »

You have fitted the guide correctly. The rear cam guide is bolted into place, but the front one just needs to be pushed down into place. This is because the crankshaft will be rotating clockwise(from this side) therefore the chain motion will be downwards, holding the guide in place!
neston
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 racer

Re: Front cam chain guide

Post by neston »

Thanks for that ! It has put my mind at rest because the more I looked at it the more it seemed a bizarre idea !
I haven't worked on one of these engines for about 20 years, but I still admire them as being nicely engineered , but the cam tensioner ideas seem unusual , but they work well. Most Honda/Suzuki,Yamaha etc all have the front cam chain guide held in place securely at the top and bottom or middle and bottom and any other perm you can think of !!

Cheers for the help,from Neston.
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Front cam chain guide

Post by JamieNeve »

Glad I could help!

Jamie