creamy oil !

Moderator: Moderators

kevwye
My Bike: zxr400 l2

creamy oil !

Post by kevwye »

Hi guys i have just purchased a zxr400 l2 which has not seen action in about 2 years it has been run and gone through an mot i noticed the clutch plates were stuck , which is a easy fix but when i took the case off the oil was a creamy colour , could this be just were the bike has been started ever so often and some condensation has happend or do you think there is a more underlying problem , and do you recommended an engine flush then new oil

thanks in advance kev
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

It depends how much of the stuff there is. On many bikes, you'll get a small amount around the clutch/ oil window, this is completely normal, especially in a bike which has stood for so long as a small amount of moisture can get in.

However, if there is alot of the stuff, it could mean a head gasket, or broken seal somewhere. My advise would be to replace the oil and filter, and see if the gunk returns, and how much of it.

Good luck
kevwye
My Bike: zxr400 l2

Re: creamy oil !

Post by kevwye »

Would you recommend flushing the engine first and what the best oil as dont want to spend 50 quid and not very good
cheers kev
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: creamy oil !

Post by banner001 »

Don't use engine flushes, buy some decent oil, castrol or mogul 10w 40 semi syn, warm the engine and drop the oil, plus change oil filter, fill with new oil, run the bike to warm it and then drop it and fill with fresh...that should clean it out as best as you can for the moment, then see if it clouds up again.

The oil filler window and oil cap do get a bit cloudy if you don't use the bike, or get it hot during a run...that's just what they do.

Check under the oil filler cap to make sure the o ring is still there, these often get lost and moisture can get in that way...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003