Missing gears/false neutrals

Moderator: Moderators

CarneyUK

Missing gears/false neutrals

Post by CarneyUK »

I've been riding my new bike and done about 500 miles now. On a couple of occasions I've been going up the box (gearbox!!) and as I've gone from 5th to 6th it's like it was in neutral, ie revved up but didn't go anywhere.

It's only done it twice and I'm not sure if this is problems with the clutch or me being a complete fanny when changing gear. The biting point on the clutch lever is about half way out.

Anyone else had this?
Spaceman
My Bike: zx6r

Post by Spaceman »

i would'nt say its anything to worry about mate, mine used to do it on ocasions just a traight of how the gear boxes work on bikes in general as ive done it on my zx6. try clutchless changes they are a lot more positive as long as the revs are up clutchless changes are a dream
Only Smarties have the answer ?
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

probably just found a false neutral. i've had a couple on mine, tis quite embarressing when people are watching.

i agree clutchless shifting is the best way to ride one handed

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah. they are false neutrals, they are particularly bad on low mileage bikes and get better with age, but they will still do it from time to time. Just keep riding it. :smt001

Its just the noise it makes when it starts to slip into gear, clkclkclcklckclkcclonk!
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

RobB wrote:Its just the noise it makes when it starts to slip into gear, clkclkclcklckclkcclonk!
Yeah, that has gotta be the worst noise I have heard. Nearly got off the bike and got a bandaid out to patch her up :smt010

At least it's not the clutch falling apart. Thanks for easing my mind guys!!