Cam chain tensioner snapped!

Moderator: Moderators

GrizzlyBear
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by GrizzlyBear »

So I'd finally passed my bike test on the 18th March :) got the old girl ready, thrilled at what adventures I would be participating in! I had organised a ride with a friend who had passed with me on his '99 Baby Blade so as I set off to meet him at our place of work then to go to the coast. As I was on the single carridgeway I slowed down for a set of lights and as I pulled the clutch in the bike made a horrible knocking noise from the tank region. Anyway, I pulled over (outside my Dad's place of work luckily) and switched her off straight away. I then put her back into neutral and then fired her up to see if she had just come out of gear but no luck :( I wheeled it to my Dad's work and on further inspection the cam chain adjuster had snapped in two, making the cam chain loose hence the horrible noise. Anyway I was straight on the internet for parts, in the end I went to CMSNL as I had previous expirence with them before. And now a month later the parts are here... I have to wait till Saturday to fix her as a mechanic ay mt Dad's place has been looking at her and I don't know what he's done lol. However I'll be watching the work being done as I've only worked on two strokes before and cams are new to me! Just wondering if this has ever happened to any of you guys?
And I'm waiting for a sign, to show you that, that this is my crime and I know why, I know why I can't confess to this,
show you what I am.
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Never heard of it snapping, not quite sure what would cause that, but i'm sure someone else can! Could have just been a faulty unit I guess! Replacing the tensioner is a 15 minute job, however I'd recommend the chain being done at the same time just in case, which is a much bigger job.

Hope she's back and running as soon as possible!
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Cam chain tensioner snapped!

Post by Miles »

I've heard of the blade snapping but never the tensioner, most strange

Any pics?
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

GrizzlyBear wrote: Anyway I was straight on the internet for parts, in the end I went to CMSNL as I had previous expirence with them before. And now a month later the parts are here...?
A month :ffs Cradley are obviously hopeless, they take a day. Surely you ordered a blade, not a tensioner. Good old ZXR - never lets you down :pmsl My smile widens.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
GrizzlyBear

Post by GrizzlyBear »

Sorry guys I'm a novice when it comes to cams! I didn't think to use cradley, but phoned them when I was waiting for my part and they said it would need at least 3 weeks as its a special order part. The part that snapped was the long 'thing' that presses against the chain. It snapped at the bottom where the square hole is. If that is the blade then sorry guys :) learn something new everyday! :pmsl
And I'm waiting for a sign, to show you that, that this is my crime and I know why, I know why I can't confess to this,
show you what I am.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

they always snap at the bottom, did you remove the bit that broke off?

it usually sticks to the magnetised pickup sensor, or floats around in the bottom of the sump...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
GrizzlyBear

Post by GrizzlyBear »

Yes it has been removed, was on the magnet!
show you what I am.