Engine Removal - best way

Moderator: Moderators

Moonfire
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400

Engine Removal - best way

Post by Moonfire »

Hi, I'm about to remove the engine from an L3 at the weekend to do the cam chain and wondered if anyone could advise as to the safest way to support the engine on the way down and the easiest way to lift it back up and in again.

I'm thinking of building some sort of tray that could go under the engine and somehow (?) attach it to a trolley jack, but realise that unless I get it right, it's like to rotate and fall off the jack when I remove the last bolt. Has anyone got a tried and tested favourite way of doing it and/or have any idea how much it weighs? I couldn't find it in the manual but I'm guessing with an all up weight of 162 kgs it's somewhere between 50 and 100 kgs and needs a jack?

Many thanks.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Engine Removal - best way

Post by banner001 »

its easier to remove the camchain with the engine still in the frame...you will just need to get an inspection mirror so you can check the alignment of the cams.

i use a trolley jack and support the base that way, it doesnt need to pitch or rotate so that makes it easier. a second pair of hands/helper is all you need.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Post by Dominik »

The engine weighs a little less than 50kg depending on parts (not) removed (header, radiator). If you only want to do the camchain it´s enough to tilt the engine. You remove the upper front bolts and the upper back one. Than you can tilt it around the last bolt and do the work.

If you want to completely remove it and do it the 1st time you should get a second pair of hands to help you. As you can hold the enginge alone it will be more or less easy with two..
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Moonfire
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Moonfire »

Thanks guy's that's great.

As ever, thank you for your advice, it really is appreciated.
Lucky Eddy
My Bike: zxr400L4

Post by Lucky Eddy »

if you want the engine out in a couple of minutes without a jack etc then heres what to do.

- get everything disconnected so it is ready to drop
- with the bike on the ground on a rear paddock stand loosen all the mounting bolts
- remove the front bolts one at a time and replace with screwdrivers or similar
- shimmy under the engine and support it on your knees/legs
- with the engine supported on your legs you can adjust height until the rear bolts can push out by hand
- remove the screwdriver(s) from the front
- slowly lower the engine onto the floor onto wood or carpet etc by adjusting your legs
- slide out

I can usually take the engine out and back in a few minutes single-handedly..you just need to make sure all the bolts are reasonably free and moving. If you have to drift them out so far they will still support the engine if you are careful. Done this loads of times on 400's & 600's etc...doddle.
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

or

disconnect all pipes, wires, etc and just put the bike on its side on the floor, obviously take the engine bolt nuts off first and lay down that way.

Support engine with a few blocks - wiggle engine bolts out and thats it.
Moonfire
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Moonfire »

Many thanks for your advice guys - much appreciated.